April 27, 2024, 12:50:08 AM

News:

Dash Lights

Started by Hazy, November 09, 2008, 03:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazy

Here's the deal. I figure most of us have had problems with the stock dash light bulbs. I fixed mine by replacing the factory sockets (IMO what a stupid way to wire something) with the push in plastic sockets but that's not always an option for customers/owners. So -I've come up with 3 ways to sorta kinda "fix" the POS stock sockets. 1) Since most times the problem is that the bulb doesn't make a good contact with the powered body of the socket you can wedge a small piece of a plastic wire tie next to the bulb to get it tight against the shell. Prolly anything that is insulated would work.
2) Wiggle the bulb around until it lights and then fill the "void" in the socket with silicone sealer - a piece of tape over the bulb will hold it until it dries
3) Coat the barrel of the bulb with solder flux, wrap a couple of turns of very thin solder around the bulb and very carefully solder it to the bulb in 2 spots - you want to keep the solder "wire" intact - just attach it to the bulb. You can thin it a little with some pliers or light taps with a BFH

Okay - what's your fix? :beer: :pop:
Hazy

76shuvlinoff

cheated

I bought a new dash base.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

06ultra

My light housings still work but inside the housing looks a little rusty and not making a good connection. I have new light sockets but how do you get the old ones out and replace with new?

Dennman

The way I see it.The problem I have is w/ the cheap bulbs that have small locatin/lockin knobs on them.Seems like only bulbs I can find when I need them are Asian.People look when I give the dash a punch ta get the oil light ta come on when startin.
Don't let the bastards get you down!

pappyfreebird

wud the L s a dash light???wahahahaha...solder them wires on

Hazy

November 10, 2008, 04:17:02 PM #5 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:46:36 AM by Hazy
Now Pappy -what's the fun in that? Seems like a too easy fix. :wink:

06Ultra - loosen the dash plate enough to grab the socket with some pliers. Twist, squeeze, and cuss enough and they'll pull out. Disconnect the battery first.
Hazy