May 08, 2024, 02:45:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New to me 98 Ultra Cam Bearing Question

Started by PJultra, October 26, 2015, 03:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJultra

I see posts about the crap cam bearings the Fuckmemo. Co. decided to use in certain year evo's. I have a stock 98 motor and was wondering if better bearings were used yet? Or do I need to change it out? It has EFI with breather upgrade and V$H exhaust with stage 1 flash. If I change the cam to, say, an ev-23 or 27, will this cause issues with the stage 1? or will I need an aftermarket piggy back fuel management device. Although I'm half planning on changing to carb, I need to know what should be taken care of first.
I'm thinking if I have to go inside just for a bearing I should prob. upgrade the cam. The bearing being the "must" thing to do. But if I do that, will I HAVE to make fuel changes?  Thanx for advise in advance.
98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

Hossamania

Yes, you want to change the bearing. How many miles on it? Are you sure it hasn't been changed yet?
Most are not a big fan of that FI system. When it starts to act up, a carb conversion may well be the best option.
Yes, it will need to be retuned if you cam it. I'm not sure of the options for tuning, I think a Power Commander will work.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PJultra

Quote from: Hossamania on October 26, 2015, 07:26:34 PM
Yes, you want to change the bearing. How many miles on it? Are you sure it hasn't been changed yet?
Most are not a big fan of that FI system. When it starts to act up, a carb conversion may well be the best option.
Yes, it will need to be retuned if you cam it. I'm not sure of the options for tuning, I think a Power Commander will work.

It has 21,xxx miles on it. I checked the pushrods which are solid. So I'm assuming.
98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS