April 28, 2024, 12:33:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gear shift noise

Started by 05RK1, April 03, 2009, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05RK1

My wife's 1200C is making a very loud noise when shifting into 1st to neutral. It's a clunking sound.  What's the verdict?

Blockhead80

check the adjustment of the clutch and primary chain.

Panzer

April 04, 2009, 10:36:34 AM #2 Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:17:59 PM by Panzer
You said first to neutral, you sure you don't mean neutral to first?
I think they all clunk, including mine.
I'm about to try 40 weight in my chaincase to reduce the famous noise.

Never heard a Harley that didn't clunk when finding low gears.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

05RK1

yes from neutral to 1st.  my bad

willymax4

i cycle the clutch lever a couple times after starting the motor cold. seems to break the clutch plates apart and lessens the clunk you discribe. the oil in the primary is kind of stiff when cold and the plates seem to want to stick to each other.
another thing to try is making sure the primary chain is adjusted to specs. and as was mentioned , make sure the clutch is adjusted properly as well.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

8flhtc8

Hello all.  After you start your bike keep the clutch pulled in for about 10 seconds and then slide it into 1st.  The clunk should be greatly reduced or eliminated.  This also works on Sporty's bigger brothers.
Mike

Bigs

What seems to work best for me is when I start the engine let it idle for a few seconds then pull in the clutch and blip the throttle a time or two then let it go back to idle then put it into gear. I hardly get a loud clunk.
   Bigs

Panzer

I tried all of the above, still get the infamous clunk.
I even went to 40w dino oil in the chaincase......same.
The only way I can eliminate the clunk is to start the bike in first gear but that only works till you shift up, of course.
Somethings you gotta live with.
Just my .02

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.