April 27, 2024, 11:06:59 AM

News:

voltage regulator 1965 xlh

Started by cajun1957a, April 03, 2009, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajun1957a

Hey Guys

Quick question on these old voltage regulatros.

What i found was that our old one has power to ground (tested the outer casing with test light and ground and had power), and drained the battery. So we replaced the regulator, and it still has no output to the battery as per voltmeter.  12.5 @2000 rpm.  I have a few questions.

First, What should be the output voltage of the regulator?

Second, does the regulaor only charge when needed, or will it kick in at a certain voltage?

Third, should the bike run with the + Cable disconnected from the battery, ie alterntor test for a car.

Forth,  what is the proper way to measure the output voltage of the generator? Does it have a rectifier? Is it AC or DC voltage from the gen.  I have seen the procedure for measuring the amps coming from the generator but have not tried that yet.

This is Randys son and he is getting all bent out of shape trying to figure this out.

Lee

saltcaveminer

lee there are seven pages of test info in the manual.refer to the reg test spec tables for your regulator type.make sure the generator indicator light is not grounded(if used)inside the regulator there are contact sets that control current ,voltage cut in and cutout.lastly make sure the regulator is mounted away from any thing that can touch it and recheck your wiring(proper location,grounds,shorts etc).Salty