May 02, 2024, 04:08:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

brake light bulbs

Started by fourthgear, April 03, 2009, 07:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fourthgear

I was told today when I pulled into work , that it looked like one of my brake lights was not working on my 03 Ultra . Well all three are out , must have been the monsoon I rode home in , Tuesday night . Any one have this happen . I check them weekly , I'll be doing it daily from now on , as I guess I should have any way. Today was the first day the monsoons let me ride & got to ride home at mid . with no brake lights . Lucky for me its a straight shot down I 95 to home . :cry:

truck

Sounds like you lost ALL your brake lights.
Do they not work with either the brake pedal or the front break lever?
Sounds more like a switch or wiring problem.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

RK101

If your using the turn, stop, and running light POS from Harley it could be that. I had one on my softail and the POS lasted about a year and like you someone told me I had no brake lights.  :crook: Who knows long they were out. Like you I check them every once in a while now. 
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

fourthgear

April 04, 2009, 11:44:07 AM #3 Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:12:53 PM by fourthgear
They work , I put some 1157's in there to make sure . What is the right bulb to go in there ?( I have the HD part # ) I will do a search to see whats right .It looked like the brake filament was on all the time like the running lights , took one off & the filament was broken off and hanging down & grounding or completing the circuit on the running light / tail light filament . The other two were like that too, when I took a good look at them ,you could tap them with your finger and the would flicker.
Let me tell ya how hard of a rain I road home in , I couldn't see for most of the 20 mile trip home. Good no one was on the road ,didn't want to stay at work ,I might have been there all night . Just one of those dumb ass decisions ya make at the spur of the moment.

I see that the 1157 will work in the tour pak, wasn't sure if they would be exotic some thing or other , ya never know .
I see that the main tail light is the wedge type , any one know the automotive type for that one ?

road-dawgs1

[quote author=fourthgear link=topic=8675.msg89289#msg89289 date=1238870647

I see that the 1157 will work in the tour pak, wasn't sure if they would be exotic some thing or other , ya never know .
I see that the main tail light is the wedge type , any one know the automotive type for that one ?
[/quote]

1157 tour pak, 3157 brake light
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Hossamania

I've been told that motorcycle bulbs are more robust than automotive bulbs. Maybe that was just so they could charge more!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Evo160K

If you need robust, the Harley heavy duty "1157" with the extra post is worth every penny.  Haven't broken a bulb on the dyno since I started using them.

chengdave2003

A 2357 bulb will directly replace a 1157 bulb, and the brake light is a bit brighter.  Going by a Sylvania website ( http://tinyurl.com/de5hp7 ) the 2357 has a MSCD (average value of the luminous intensity of a light source in all directions) of 40/3 (40 being the brake light and 3 being the tail light) whereas the 1157 is 32/3.  I'm not sure how much the additional 8 is, but I'll take every little bit I can get (I can't eyeball the difference).  The trade-off is the brake light lasts a two-thirds less than the 1157 (400 hours verses 1,200).  That's 400 hours of continuous operation or over sixteen days verses fifty days.  I check my brake light before I ride anyway and I always have an extra (but then I have extra 1157's in the shop also).   I bought a replacement tail light lens for Christmas and it came with a replacement LED light.  I could visually see that it was half as bright as the 2357 so I took it out and never used it again.

Dave Young
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn60/chengdave2003/Harley%20Davidson/

mark61

Quote from: Evo160K on April 05, 2009, 08:47:18 AM
If you need robust, the Harley heavy duty "1157" with the extra post is worth every penny.  Haven't broken a bulb on the dyno since I started using them.

Get the same bulbs for less with a different number-I forget what but it is xx57- from a Tractor trailor or heavy truck. You can see the differnce if you hold them up side by side.

mark61