May 02, 2024, 02:23:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Polishing out windscreen scratches

Started by aquaman, April 03, 2009, 07:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquaman

Got some ugly scratches on my windscreen.  It is a smoked windshield and I would like to save it if possible.  I recall there was a product to polish scratches out but can't remember the name or what to search for.  Anyone got a lead?
much thanks,
aquaman
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

Coyote

If it's a HD shield, I believe they have a coating which you do not want to polish through. The best thing I've found is to wax them. The wax fills the scratches and they disappear for a while. Last few years, I just buy a new one from Fastaire about once a year. For about $30, it keeps my bike looking good.

harleyjt

2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

aquaman

Actually, it is a Fastaire. I don't mind throwing down another $30 to our member for a replacement, but, I'm trying to save my dollars for a dyno session.  This depression ( extended recession ) that we're in has got the money tight for me.

I'm going to try the Novus route first.  Just my luck it will probably cost 29.99 per bottle. lol. 
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

panheaddreamer58

I sell a product from 3M in my auto part store  that's for headlight restoration that I think would work good on a windshield. Part #39008 and it comes in a kit with everything you need except a electric drill. Being tinted might be a different story but I think it would work on a clear one.

JimB

April 04, 2009, 10:36:59 AM #5 Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:40:00 AM by FastAire
For my Shields ...... heres a link to my web page with many tips on how to care for a shield.

http://www.fastaire.com/Install_Care_Inst.html

High quality auto wax for clearcoats will buff out many scratches, Pledge, Plexis, Novus .. will cover them. You can use a small low speed buffer & leave it on the bike. You must use a really soft & clean cloth & just dont heat it up too much.

Alot of the plastic polish used for headlight covers is too abrasive for a windshield because they are designed to take out severe scratches but not the really fine one. But many companies like 3M, Mothers & Meguires make an extra fine plastic polish & most auto stores carries them.

Hope this helps.... & thank you to all my Customers

ps: Im in Vegas for the NHRA drags..... yeah baby !

02roadcling

02roadcling
NW corner of Washington