April 27, 2024, 12:35:21 PM

News:

Fuel filter

Started by rider7816, November 07, 2015, 03:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider7816

I have a 1977 XLH and was wondering if it would be beneficial to run an external inline fuel filter? I know there is a filter screen on the petcock and my tank is clean, I just feel wierd not having an actual filter on the fuel system.

What is everyone else doing??

Frank

Wicked

If ur tank is clean and petcock screen in good shape - no need for an extra filter. They can "cavitate" and cause other issues and the pretty glass ones will leak....
Paul

garyajaz

+1 on the glass  ones leaking.
I run a inline cause I have 2 inputs and its a fiberglass tank that loses hairs on occasion.
have a o-ring sealed metal one .
but on a good non-rust tank. not necessary.

Racepres

JW113

Every time I have put one on with good intent, ended up removing it later due to problems. Leaks, fuel starvation, vapor lock, etc. Chalk it up to the cure is worse than the disease....

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

76shuvlinoff

External fuel filters and vapor lock seem to go hand in hand.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

Indeed, especially since the gas line has to run right next to or between two big heat radiators, i.e. the cylinders/heads. And let's face it, ironheads get pretty hot. Hence the endearing term "waffle-iron head".
:SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

nibroc

"waffle iron-head"     well I declare!

Racepres

Quote from: nibroc on November 13, 2015, 07:34:59 PM
"waffle iron-head"     well I declare!
Fraid I never heard that one ...still haven't heard it spoken...First for everything I guess...

garyajaz

waffle iron?
lol
I been pushing iron for bout 45 years.
raced all over the country.
first I heard of the expression.