May 02, 2024, 06:20:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Part of an e-mail I got today from Indian

Started by truck, April 04, 2009, 10:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truck

Indian Riders Have Always Been Unique, Interesting People
A look at what makes Indian Motorcycle fanatics just a little different

As the riding season kicks into high gear and we deliver more and more of the fantastic 2009 Indian Chiefs, a few friends have asked "What kind of person rides Indian?" As a lifelong Indian fan and "true believer", it's good to reflect on what makes me--and others--such avowed supporters of the brand and why we count ourselves among the thousands of riders that truly live and breathe Indian.

Indian riders share a common bond that is somewhat hard to define. I'd have to say that rugged individualism is certainly a part of the definition. By that, I mean the inner strength it takes to not follow the crowd and make the "safe" choice. Wanting only the very best is another shared trait. Indian motorcycles are steeped in legend, less attainable, instantly recognizable and beautifully unique, without extensive customization.

As a group, we appreciate and respect the success that Harley-Davidson has enjoyed over the years, but H-D is the mainstream and faces far different challenges than Indian to maintain ongoing vitality. Personally, I do not envision a time when Indian builds more than 3,000 motorcycles per year. (Compared to over 300,000 for H-D in 2008.) Indians are meant to be exclusive, premium value motorcycles, which should result in higher retained value over the years.
The economy (at least the stock market) is showing some early signs of having bottomed out. Full recovery will not occur overnight. But if you're an Indian Motorcycle fanatic like me, I strongly suggest you consider owning one of the (fewer than eight hundred) 2009 Indian Chiefs. These "Renaissance" Indian Chiefs are not only wonderful bikes to ride right now, but virtually assured to be high value collectibles down the road. Naturally, as America's First Indian dealer, we would be pleased to help guide your selection. Give us a call at 888-600-INDIAN.

Hope to see you soon, Mark Moses

The rest can be seen here. http://www.psnnewsletter.com/newsletters/30371_2009_4_4_2_49_44.html

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

RK101

April 04, 2009, 01:37:54 PM #1 Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 01:45:47 PM by RK101
I think I'm going to puke. :embarrassed:  Indians are meant to be exclusive, premium value motorcycles, which should result in higher retained value over the years.Here I thought only the people at Harley could put a crock of crap statement like that out. They should have ubderlined the word should. :hyst: Time will tell  :pop:

During these troubled times why would I not want to make the safe choice in a motorcycle. Why would I want to invest in a product that has gone belly up  more times that a dieing tuna?
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

truck

3,000 a year isn't going to support a very large dealer network, is it?

RK101

Don't see how it could. Then again like I mentioned a couple weeks ago. I believe these bikes will be a conversation piece for the people with deep pockets, more than it will ever be a ridden Motorcycle. I'm sure people like Jay Leno will have one if he doesn't already.  Should be allot of fun trying to get service and parts on one. Should be interesting to see how the aftermarket takes to making parts for them. :soda: :pop:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

mark61

Couple of points:      A. The business model they are using is very similar to Buelle started out with.

B. Since these are basically after market assemblies seems to me just about any shop will be able to work on them.

mark61

jmanjeff

April 04, 2009, 04:07:47 PM #5 Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:30:16 PM by jmanjeff
If i was to spend top $$$ for a Indian i would get one of these
http://www.kiwi-indian.com/retro-chief.html
1957  Sportster

specialx1

it's only kinky the first time

PoorUB

Personally, I do not envision a time when Indian builds more than 3,000 motorcycles per year. (Compared to over 300,000 for H-D in 2008.) Indians are meant to be exclusive, premium value motorcycles, which should result in higher retained value over the years.

Check the used values on the last run of Indian motorcycles. They sold at a higher price than a comparable HD, and resale is less. Seems to me it did not work for the last run of bikes, why should it this time??
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

silvercab996

An Indian would appeal to someone that does not believe that a rose by any other name is still a rose.

I could never own an Indian, knowing that all or most all the parts were designed, engineered, prototyped, tested, improved, patented, and built by Harley-Davidsion. Save the swoopy fenders and Scripted logos. Patents expire, designs get stolen and copied.

The Harley Softail and an Indian could be disassembled, all the parts mixed up, and two running bikes could be built with little regard to what part came from which bike originally. Over the years many parts have been disguised on the outside to give them a unique look but functionally remain the same.

Harley and Indian were and always have been bitter rivals, one, being built lighter and having a slight edge in power and performance, the other built more robust and for endurance. The uniqueness in the new Indians, lie in the fact that an old marque was reserrected and a Harley-Davidson Softail constructed of aftermarket copied parts and rebranded as the Indian. The biggest motorcycle con of the century in my opinion.

At least Excellsior Henderson and others had an honest product.

truck

They are not even getting their patent name money's worth!
Motocycle, not motorcycle. Or maybe they bought the newer name?

mark61

Quote from: trück on April 04, 2009, 05:22:42 PM
They are not even getting their patent name money's worth!
Motocycle, not motorcycle. Or maybe they bought the newer name?

Or maybe it is a side step around registering the name? All kinds of games get played by businesses for taxing and patenting reasons.

mark61