May 02, 2024, 06:34:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How do I stop this oil leak?

Started by JamLazyAss, November 18, 2015, 12:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

Oil leak on a Pan. I know it's hard to believe. lol

Anyhow,
it's a 52 Pan, fairly new to me.
The oil seems to be coming out at the shaft (clutch side).
I have a belt drive, so obviously I don't want any oil.

In my old Panhead Service Manual,
it shows a OIL RETAINING BUSHING that presses into something.
Too hard to read.
Anyone know if this might be the problem and how to:
~ Find the part number to order it
~ How to install it

Any advice is appreciated.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

fourthgear

If that's the seal / Bushing on the Sprocket shaft & if I remember how I did my 48 , I think I made or cut a Gasket , like a horse shoe ,but with only a small gap at the bottom ,for the left motor case mates with the Inner Primary . Acts like a drain passage , because I'm not sure you can stop that seal / Bushing ( or what ever they want to call it ) from leaking . The split at the bottom of the gasket directs any or most of the leak to the outside bottom of the Inner Primary . If you follow me .
   I hardly get any oil in the Primary , I just had it apart , to clean the clutch & re-grease the Clutch shell bearings & there was some little hairs in there , from the Belt , not much, if any oil ,belt was dry .

I thought they made a retro seal for that early shaft configuration, but its been a long time & I don't keep up with this stuff like I used too.

drifter

JamLazyAss
                                                                                                                                                                                  To expand on your description, from my book, not my experience.  The "oil retaining bushing is press fit into the left crankcase roller bearing bushing".  Outside of the "oil retaining bushing" is a "bearing spring ring" that needs to be removed first to gain access to the "oil retaining bushing".  A little clearer mud perhaps?  There is no mention of a gasket.  This is the 1948 -1954 engine.  Ingenuity is the mother of invention, fourthgear may have a practical solution if the book proves impractical.

I have S&S cases since my old left side cracked, and an open belt, not a drop of oil in 15 years from that area.   

Warren

JamLazyAss

I'm thinking both of you guys are right.
Somebody out there with an early Pan must have run into this and created a "fix"  :banghead:

CraigArizona85248

You need the seal upgrade kit for Colony. The OEM setup isn't really a seal but uses an oil slinger to try and keep the oil in the case. There is a snap ring that holds the slinger in place. It can be a real biznitch to remove. A pick and patience will be very helpful. Once the snap ring is out use a couple screw drivers to pry the slinger out of the case. There will still be a thrust washer remaining. Don't remove the thrust washer. Insert the new colony seal and the new snap ring.  Done! It's not too complicated.

-craig

CraigArizona85248

Found this old post of mine that's worth repeating here...

Installed a new sprocket shaft oil seal.  This is pretty simple.  You remove a cs-clip that is holding the seal in the bearing race on the left side case.  The seal will come out with a little bit of coaxing.  The seal kit comes from Colony and includes the seal and a new cs-clip.

This shows the opening left after removing the seal.

The new seal (which also serves as the sprocket side thrust bearing surface for the crank) is slipped over the shaft and just started into the race.

The seal is driven in flush with the bearing race at this point...

The seal is driven in until the groove that holds the cs-clip is exposed...

The cs-clip is installed.

JamLazyAss

JamLazyAss

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on November 23, 2015, 05:56:41 PM
You need the seal upgrade kit for Colony. The OEM setup isn't really a seal but uses an oil slinger to try and keep the oil in the case. There is a snap ring that holds the slinger in place. It can be a real biznitch to remove. A pick and patience will be very helpful. Once the snap ring is out use a couple screw drivers to pry the slinger out of the case. There will still be a thrust washer remaining. Don't remove the thrust washer. Insert the new colony seal and the new snap ring.  Done! It's not too complicated.

-craig

Dec 4th

The Colony Seal kit came in today's mail.
Now all I have to do is to get some kerosene for the garage furnace because it's in the thirties.
Too cold too work in that temperature.
Don't know why I ever stayed in New York State. lol

I'll take some pictures of the mini teardown and install soon as I get going.  :hug:

Brrrap

Yeah, I found I have a oil leak on my '59 too. Did some checking around and can't get any dealership to replace the gaskets for free. Seems the manufacturer's warranty / responsibility has run out. Ahh well, what-cha gonna do?  :idunno:
[attach=0]
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

48pan

I've retired my Pan since I got a softail. And I've noticed, ever since I've quit riding the pan and drained the oil. She doesn't leak at all. Not one single drop. :nix:

rbabos

Quote from: 48pan on July 08, 2016, 07:18:07 PM
I've retired my Pan since I got a softail. And I've noticed, ever since I've quit riding the pan and drained the oil. She doesn't leak at all. Not one single drop. :nix:
Funny how that works, huh?
Ron