Been trying for my S&S 10 second patch..

Started by HD/Wrench, November 18, 2015, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD/Wrench

November 18, 2015, 01:30:15 PM Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:33:03 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE
SOOOOO close. Been working on the launch only for some time.. Up is cool but not helping the et. So been working with the clutch.. Got it sorted or so I thought the leave was hard super clean. made my pass ,  and after looking at the slip briefly  planned on hot lapping it.  SO close back up into the lanes into the box and the clutch started chattering..  :emsad:  I really thought I was there..  Well it was a nice ride to the track and the clutch did get me home.. Stop and go was not much fun.. I bet it looked like it was my first time riding  .. squeak squawk lurch  :doh:  All in fun , and there is always a next time.. Maybe take off the tour pack next go round.  :wink:

No shifter no kill box.. I know I could go faster with them but its still my every day ride so if I get there great if not. I can live with that as well..

1/4 mile time slip

I mainly run 1/8 mile  and here is what I have been running and as I said working the the 60 foot.  In the 1/4 mile slip its working and my 330 is better at the 1/4 ..

Unbalanced

Steve,

Why not just put a blanked out PC5 on the bike and put on the dynojet speed shifter.  should more than get you the .005 you missed :)   They work well  :wink:

2006FXDCI

Great run Steve ! Cant get much closer to a 10 than that ! Really nice 60' times as well . Can you tell us beginners what youve been doing different launching your bike to get better 60' times ?
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

HD/Wrench

I have JRI rear shocks and I have spent a fair amount tuning them ( re valving and trying different springs) .. and been working with the Scorpion lock up, Leave RPM, tire pressure..  and really PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE .. I spent most of the summer working on my launch ... Meaning that I would launch and then just run out to 330  chop and hot lap it and go again.   If you look at my 1/8 mile 60 foot that was the norm.. so all summer was good to get me just under the 1.6 which was a goal of mine..

2006FXDCI

2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

jam65

It sure looks like you are getting some great 60' times with all of that practice. Nice job Steve.

akjeff

Nice run Steve! Great 60' times. Mine suck, and I have to work on that big time next summer.

Jeff
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

motolocopat

Looks great, you will get there. 
Sure ditching that Tourpack would get it.. you must be looking for some bragging rights there :teeth: 
Maybe get you one of those low profile Tourpack's :wink:

Where are you running at?  I should try and get up there sometime, can't be far from me.
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

HD/Wrench

I mainly run up in Denton but that is a 1/8 and to my knowledge there is no patch for 1/8 mile at this point only 1/4  mile times.. Who knows that may change as the 1/4 mile tracks are getting fewer every year.. and the 1/8 is gaining in popularity in many class's ,
But that is a whole different topic.

DOT drag radial car ran 3.9 @ 202 a few weeks ago.. that is impressive to see.  The prep is outstanding.. Speaking of prep we where out there to watch the 8.5 dot cars run and we are getting everything ready to go. I turn on the data logger for the car walk behind it to get ready to video the car leave and I look up and there is a technical issue :scratch:.. A camera crew walked in front of the cars to shoot video and his shoe came off and was stuck on the pad. :hyst: He is hopping around on one foot.. They had to remove show from track before race could start..

motolocopat

So where did you do the 1/4 mile run, Kennedale, Texas Motorplex or?

HD/Wrench

It was in OK.... I do race at motorplex some times..

jmorton10

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on November 18, 2015, 01:30:15 PM
:

No shifter no kill box.. I know I could go faster with them but its still my every day ride so if I get there great if not. I can live with that as well..

no reason you can't run a Pingel shift setup on n everyday ride.

Here's mine:

Before that I ran a Murdoch air shifter every day for 20 years.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

1FSTRK

Great effort Steve, just a matter of time.
Why is it that when we have a numbers goal things always hang up right at the edge of achievement?
If you shoot for 10's you get 11.005.
If you shoot for 150 hp on the dyno you get 149.9.
I guess that is what keeps us coming back.
:up: :up:
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Racepres

Let me throw this out there...
If you are Heads-up racing..especially looking for a "number" I would learn to Speed-Shift....I mean really learn, like the Late Mr. Milligan used to be able to do!!!!! For Consistancy, go ahead and Interrupt power with a Kill shift...
My $0.02...worth about what ya paid for it...But, It is From Experience!!!!!!

jmorton10

Quote from: Racepres on November 22, 2015, 05:55:16 AM
For Consistency, go ahead and Interrupt power with a Kill shift...

I agree 100%  :up:

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

motolocopat

To get an S&S Patch what parts have to be S&S as a minimum?
Do they exclude certain parts of other manufacturers?
Are there requirements as for running a S&S Stickers etc?

pwmorris

November 23, 2015, 04:37:28 PM #16 Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:40:39 AM by pwmorris
Steve,
Been sooooo close before- ran 12.1-12.0 for weeks till went to a better track and ran an 11.88.
10's came easier with a new 124" crate, but man, the 9 was a few years later dancing around low 10's for what seemed like forever.
Your sixty ft looks good but all you need is a couple hundredths of that 60' and it's a 10.99!
You will get it...

Quote from: motolocopat on November 22, 2015, 07:59:37 AM
To get an S&S Patch what parts have to be S&S as a minimum?
Do they exclude certain parts of other manufacturers?
Are there requirements as for running a S&S Stickers etc?
Some sort of S&S induction-carb, FI...
You don't need all S&S motor, they don't care about other parts, just some being S&S.
No stickers needed, this isn't for race bikes.

Baggers, Sportsters, FXR's, Dynas, Softails, etc...
No wheelie bars, no turbo, nitrous, or other power adders.
Daily driven street bikes-no race bikes that can drive to a Cruze Nite on race gas...
Street tires, licensed, registered, insured.
No air shifters (electric kill shifting OK).
Self starting.
Full charging system.
Time slip signed by tower, and bike verified that it was you and the bike that ran the number.
Picture of you and the bike, showing the carb or S&S induction.
That's it-
Patch, tee shirt and signed certificate. Patch and shirts are not for sale and have to be earned.

motolocopat

Thanks PW

OK so scratch plans for HPI Throttle body and add a Throttle Hogg

Scratch Pingel Shifter ..That's surprising.
Kill Shifting.. Is that a button that kills ignition and rider is responsible for applying pressure to the shifter?

No WHeelie bar... I take it that Extended Swingarms are OK?

Planning on S&S cylinders, Cams .. diet for bike and el gordo :unsure:

pwmorris

Quote from: motolocopat on November 23, 2015, 05:05:48 PM
Thanks PW

OK so scratch plans for HPI Throttle body and add a Throttle Hogg

Scratch Pingel Shifter ..That's surprising.
Kill Shifting.. Is that a button that kills ignition and rider is responsible for applying pressure to the shifter?

No WHeelie bar... I take it that Extended Swingarms are OK?

Planning on S&S cylinders, Cams .. diet for bike and el gordo :unsure:
Pingel electric shifter-all good. Foot or button activated with electric kill is fine.
No air shifters like on dedicated track bikes-
Swingarm lengthened is fine.
Basically think about it as how you would run it on the street. Obviously you wouldn't run a wheelie bar on an all day ride-same with air shifters.
My favorite day in memory was running a high 9 at the track, then loading up, bringing her home, adding air to the rear tire, putting my mirror back on, going to the gas station to add some 91, then riding with my buddies all night...

jam65

Sure is something to be proud of Paul. Killer time slip and a cruise home on the bike that made that number. I have a few 10 second time slips but never had them made official. The thing about it was that on two of them, my buddy was in the other lane and he has a "copy".

Ozbob

How much S&S do ya need in the engine to qualify for the patch??
I got S&S crank, cams, geardrive, lifters and a 10 sec slip to go with it.

PS. Steve, the Pan is going well

Stix.

motolocopat

I believe it was all answered above by PWMorris.

But to sum it up the primary S&S component you need is S&S Induction

Ozbob

jmorton10

Quote from: pwmorris on November 23, 2015, 05:47:12 PM
Obviously you wouldn't run a wheelie bar on an all day ride-same with air shifters.

I must be weird LOL because I ran a Murdoch air shifter for 20 years on the street (with a mini air compressor to refill the tank).  Then I added a slick & wheelie bars at the track. That was back when I first got into drag racing about 100 years ago.

I ran a 9.98 in Columbus Ohio, but blew the motor on the 2nd run from too much NOS boost LOL.

I was there when Bo O'brochta (one of the funniest/craziest ball-busters I've ever met) almost ran over Russ Collins in the pit lane on his top fuel bike that got away from him.  Funniest thing I had ever seen. They had the TF bike on a center stand and fired it up.  The spinning rear tire sucked up a rubber mat under the bike knocking it off the stand and it took off across pit row dragging Bo with it LOL.

Luckily his pant leg caught in the mag belt pulleys, ripped the belt off and killed the motor stopping it about 6 inches short of Russ Collins bike.  I was laughing so hard I almost choked to death.  I asked him if he could do it again so I could get a pic of it. He chased me all the way down pit row but I finally had to stop because I was laughing too hard to continue running ROTFLMAO!!

~John

jmorton10

Quote from: pwmorris on November 23, 2015, 05:47:12 PM

My favorite day in memory was running a high 9 at the track, then loading up, bringing her home, adding air to the rear tire, putting my mirror back on, going to the gas station to add some 91, then riding with my buddies all night...

That's awesome, your bike is one of the nastiest street bikes I have ever seen.  It has to be a blast to ride.

~John

sfmichael

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on November 18, 2015, 01:30:15 PM
SOOOOO close. Been working on the launch only for some time.. Up is cool but not helping the et. So been working with the clutch.. Got it sorted or so I thought the leave was hard super clean. made my pass ,  and after looking at the slip briefly  planned on hot lapping it.  SO close back up into the lanes into the box and the clutch started chattering..  :emsad:  I really thought I was there..  Well it was a nice ride to the track and the clutch did get me home.. Stop and go was not much fun.. I bet it looked like it was my first time riding  .. squeak squawk lurch  :doh:  All in fun , and there is always a next time.. Maybe take off the tour pack next go round.  :wink:

1/4 mile time slip

I mainly run 1/8 mile  and here is what I have been running and as I said working the the 60 foot.  In the 1/4 mile slip its working and my 330 is better at the 1/4 ..

That's a damn fast street Harley - good job Steve  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

HD/Wrench

Thanks it has been fun, will get my this year I am sure.. I plan on doing a bit of work and still will not be using kill box or shifter. My choice and with one or both I would have done it already .. My goal my rules  :smilep:  I should take off the tour pack  or at least empty out the junk thats in it .. :hyst: 

Hossamania

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 28, 2016, 01:15:20 PM
Thanks it has been fun, will get my this year I am sure.. I plan on doing a bit of work and still will not be using kill box or shifter. My choice and with one or both I would have done it already .. My goal my rules  :smilep:  I should take off the tour pack  or at least empty out the junk thats in it .. :hyst:

That's funny! Might want to take the tools and rain gear out of the bags, too...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.