April 27, 2024, 01:09:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

only 1/4 mile track left around here

Started by jmorton10, November 22, 2015, 06:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

November 22, 2015, 06:13:52 AM Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:35:22 AM by jmorton10
Is in Leister N.Y.

not a bike, but a cool ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keaAS9mll_k

I've raced at this track many times, but never videoed it unfortunately.

I was actually at a few of these events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzkr4F_4Xlo

We used to have a number of 1/4 mile tracks to run on, I hate the way drag racing is dying out.

I grew up building muscle cars & hot-rod Harleys, but kids don't seem to be into that anymore.

~John

I watched Ronnie Sox many times in the 70's

http://www.dragzine.com/news/video-ronnie-sox-gives-a-4-speed-lesson-in-a-68-barracuda/#fbComments
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

motolocopat

To appreciate a Drag Race you have to GO SEE ONE... Until you've been in the stands, or better yet alongside the fence, and FELT a car or bike go by on a Sub 8 Second pass it is hard to appreciate the sport. Vehicles making a pass at those times transmit part of the energy through your body and watching a YouTube video on a cellphone just doesn't give that same emotion.. heck a 60" TV with surround sound cranked up doesn't either, I know, I've tried it.

It is a lot harder to "HotRod" cars today.. the cars are loaded with techno-wizardry and the way they have engines crammed into an engine bay makes it near impossible to do any easy mods and for those that do they then have to battle the emissions police. Bottom line is you pretty much need a dedicated vehicle instead of using the one that you go "Make the Drag" in
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Hossamania

I think the closest ones to me are about 2 hours away. Sad. Still a few circle tracks around, dirt and pavement, but they are gradually going away also.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

strokerjlk

Quote from: motolocopat on November 22, 2015, 08:18:35 AM
To appreciate a Drag Race you have to GO SEE ONE... Until you've been in the stands, or better yet alongside the fence, and FELT a car or bike go by on a Sub 8 Second pass it is hard to appreciate the sport. Vehicles making a pass at those times transmit part of the energy through your body and watching a YouTube video on a cellphone just doesn't give that same emotion.. heck a 60" TV with surround sound cranked up doesn't either, I know, I've tried it.

It is a lot harder to "HotRod" cars today.. the cars are loaded with techno-wizardry and the way they have engines crammed into an engine bay makes it near impossible to do any easy mods and for those that do they then have to battle the emissions police. Bottom line is you pretty much need a dedicated vehicle instead of using the one that you go "Make the Drag" in
I get what you're saying and  I agree with ya on most of what ya say here.
Might have a little disagreement on the current vehicles .
Have you seen the times these stock engine street cars are knocking down with bolt on pro charger and turbo kits ?
IMO the auto racing world has stepped up in the past 5 years , as far as freaky fast "street" machines . Bolt on stuff and purpose built street machines .
Look at Larry Larsons S10 .5.86 1/4 mile and he drives to the track . Not just down the road , but 1800 miles . The modern EFI with its amazing control has made this all possible .IMO

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Hossamania

Maybe the "Street Outlaws" show will re-ignite some interest in the younger racers, and get away from the silly Formula drifting thing. That is not racing. Winner based on style? Please....
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jmorton10

My wife still drives a highly modified (by me) 1987 Buick Grand National.

We bought the car new, it has 33,000 miles on it.

She is now a retired school teacher, she was still teaching when it was newer however.

She blew away the principle of one of the schools she worked at (they moved her around).  The dork had bought a new vette & thought it was the fastest thing around.

He kept bugging her to race him & she kept ignoring him.  Finally, she said "do that trick you do to the turbo that makes it REALLY FAST.  I wanna shut this guy up once and for all."

I jacked up the turbo boost to dangerous levels with the adjustable waste gate for the oversize turbo & told her "knock him dead"

The school she worked in at the time had a very long straight stretch of blacktop that lead in from the road.  I got some of the school kids to help rope/cone it off so they could safely race there.

It was hilarious.  I wish I had a video of it but phones didn't do that back then.

She pulled the front tires 3' off the ground off the start & did a nice showy fishtail going into second gear.

The vette never had a chance. After the race, a couple of the administers said "I always wondered who drives that car??"  It was parked out there every day, but it has limo black windows (looks tough as hell) and they could never see the driver.  They where shocked to see my 4'11" Wife climb out of it LOL LOL

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

strokerjlk

Quote from: Hossamania on November 22, 2015, 08:52:31 AM
Maybe the "Street Outlaws" show will re-ignite some interest in the younger racers, and get away from the silly Formula drifting thing. That is not racing. Winner based on style? Please....
not much of a fan of the show,but love the cars when they get them to a track.

You have to attract the old guys with disposable income too.
then sponsors is a whole other discussion.

if you have a fast 'street Harley' ,there is a race this coming summer at silver dollar track  in GA.
all the "Harley street racers" are going to get to the track at the same time. Riders from all over  north america.
its by invitation,but if you have a fast bike you could get in.
one grudge race is already set set for 20,000 . over 50 baggers going for 1000.00 pay out to winner.(street legal tire ,FLH front end, stock frame,no bar anything else goes including swing-arm length)
if you got little/or  big cash and a fast bike,there will be someone there to take your Grudge  challenge.

Racepres

^^ Be Careful Jim...Most promoters base their purse on participation...not enough entries, and who knows what the purse may be...
Just watch yerself is all....

strokerjlk

Quote from: Racepres on November 22, 2015, 10:59:10 AM
^^ Be Careful Jim...Most promoters base their purse on participation...not enough entries, and who knows what the purse may be...
Just watch yerself is all....
I will Marty.
I am getting a VIP pass. and have a guy wanting to put up the grudge money. will see as time goes on how many baggers actually show up.
as long as you don't book 7/17 for a AMRA race a lot of us street guys are gonna try and go.
if you schedule something for that weekend ,you know where I will be  :wink: 

Racepres

I think we will be later in July..in Michigan. Them guys know that too..
if ya wanna know a bit more about them folks putting that on...talk to Gregg at GMS.
he likes 'em...but, they are his "Customers"

strokerjlk

Quote from: Racepres on November 22, 2015, 11:38:45 AM
I think we will be later in July..in Michigan. Them guys know that too..
if ya wanna know a bit more about them folks putting that on...talk to Gregg at GMS.
he likes 'em...but, they are his "Customers"
I have already. and the guy putting up the cash.he talked me into it....... unlimited power adders  :fish:  hooked
I ain't street racing...but I will line up against anyone on the track.

1FSTRK

We are luck enough to be about equal driving from three tracks.
Lebanon Valley Dragway
Esta Safety Park Dragstrip
Skyview Drags
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

JamLazyAss

Syracuse, New York

ESTA DRAGSTRIP in the early to mid seventies,

Anyone remember the MIMI CAMARO'S?

I'm thinking maybe there were two of them, both white?
They used to stand those Camaro's straight up.
Once one lost control and turned towards the stands and came to a stop on top of the fence.
Those were awesome cars.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...