May 08, 2024, 05:14:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Speedometer needle stuck

Started by Walkie Talkie, November 22, 2015, 05:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walkie Talkie

1999 FLTRI speedometer needle stuck on 55 mph, odometer still rolling. Front wheel cable driven, manual reset on trip meter. Is it repairable or am I looking for a replacement? Does anyone have the part number and ratio?
Respects
Walkie Talkie

smoserx1

67349_96 mph.  67359_96 kph

If the odometer is working it is probably the speedo.  Mechanical speedometers are vintage, might be hard getting it repaired.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Walkie Talkie on November 22, 2015, 05:18:08 PM
1999 FLTRI speedometer needle stuck on 55 mph, odometer still rolling. Front wheel cable driven, manual reset on trip meter. Is it repairable or am I looking for a replacement? Does anyone have the part number and ratio?

As noted, the speedo is dead, needs repair or replace.. If you go the repair route let us know where you go..

drifter

November 22, 2015, 10:41:09 PM #3 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:43:26 AM by drifter
There is a fellow that does speedo repair, Scott Speedometer Service, Pontiac, MI., 1-800-208-3030.  I haven't done any business with them, may be worth the call.

If you remove it from the bike, you can carefully pry the stainless ring from around the lens, then lift out the lens.  Then there should be a couple of screws on the back that will release the internal parts out through the top.  Then it is just clean and lightly lubricate the moving parts and reassemble the unit.  If you were careful with the stainless ring you can put it back almost as good as new.  At least that is how I repaired the one on my old tractor.   :wink:

Warren

Walkie Talkie

Thanks for the help guys, after I get my evo off the lift I guess I will give a try at repairing before replacing.
Respects
Walkie Talkie