Stripping (get you'r mind out of the gutter Special) chrome.

Started by Evo1, April 04, 2009, 05:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evo1

Does any one have an idea as to how much it costs to strip chrome off a fender, at a chrome shop that is?

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Snuff™

Not a fender but, I had chrome stripped from a pan primary tin, oil tank, kickstand mount and some other misc small pieces for $60. Dayton Ohio area.

Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Evo1

Quote from: Panzer on April 04, 2009, 05:35:39 PM
Dang, all I read was stripping.

Panzer, you are just as bad as Special. You two are just hopeless. :potstir:

specialx1

damn u guys are sic, i was just interested in   the  talk bout chrome :pop:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

Evo1

Thank you Snuff.  :up: Panzer and Special should take lessons from you.

Snuff™

Quote from: Evo1 on April 04, 2009, 05:42:44 PM
Thank you Snuff.  :up: Panzer and Special should take lessons from you.
I don't give stripping lessions  :hyst:

-Snuff :beer:

specialx1

Snuff™

Evo1

With you guys around, how am I ever going to get my fender stripped?  OMG, you guys are going to mess with this too. :gob:

specialx1

Princess Butt

Any real answers besides the chrome shop?

I've got a set of lower legs for my pan which are flaking. Would like to find some way to remove the chrome.

Or do I send them out to rechrome?

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Snuff™

BnEUltraClassic,
My basket case pan had lower legs that had flaking chrome.  The local guy that I had spoke about above, only strips and polishes items.  He strips and sends out the parts to be chromed, gets them back and polishes them out.  If your near any big town, someone must be doing the same.  You might want to call around a plating company (not just chrome).  Another local guy cadmium plates items for me and we've talked about him stripping zinc coated parts as well.

-Snuff :beer:

specialx1

local plater told me this, take it for what it is worth but seem's to me i have a pro do it,

"most show quality chrome finish is copper, then nickel, then chrome. The chrome itself is very thin and can really be taken off with anything abrasive. If you are doing it to re-chrome then an electrolytic method would be preferrable because it leaves the rest of the layers on there.

Blasting is okay but something that will cut chrome will cut aluminum too and you will be left with a profile on your part that you would not have had before.

The "correct" answer is an electrolytic process for stripping "
Specialx1

Evo1

I want to strip the chrome off a  :embarrassed:........Gulp..........Honda........Gulp....fender so I can weld up some holes and paint. Yes I said it HONDA! Flame away.

Old Crow

When I welded up the cracks on my shovel exhaust, I just sandblasted them and painted them with BBQ spray.  Don't see why you couldn't just sandblast the fender, prime and paint it.  Wouldn't want to try the blasting with alum. though.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Evo1

silvercab996

Muratic acid will remove the chrome. Do it in a well ventilated area as toxic fumes will result and keep plenty of water handy. use rubber gloves, an apron and eye protection.
I've stripped the chrome off several items this way for paint and other finishes. This will not remove nickle or copper however.

Greaseball

Quote from: silvercab996 on April 05, 2009, 09:59:52 AM
Muratic acid will remove the chrome. Do it in a well ventilated area as toxic fumes will result and keep plenty of water handy. use rubber gloves, an apron and eye protection.
I've stripped the chrome off several items this way for paint and other finishes. This will not remove nickle or copper however.

This is a process that I have used as well.  Works great!

Princess Butt

Do you use muriatic acid full strength? When I use it for Concrete, I cut it about 10:1 (10 parts acid to one part water).

Thanks

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

specialx1

thats for sure, friend did it usin 3 parts muriatic to 7 parts water but be careful , plater still had to buff n replate the nickel before he would chrome em,  seems like it shouldnt cost to much to have em stripped but maybe it is,
Specialx1

Old Crow

Quote from: Evo1 on April 05, 2009, 08:28:13 AM
The chrome come off easy with sand blasting?

Doesn't take it off, but roughens the surface so paint will stick to it.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.