May 08, 2024, 03:20:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Looking for replacement speedo

Started by Walkie Talkie, November 27, 2015, 09:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walkie Talkie

I have a 1999 FLTRI Road Glide with a mechanical speedo part #67349-96, the needle has stopped moving, odometer and trip meter still functioning. In search of a suitable replacement, does anybody know if the aftermarket replacements for FXR,FXE, or XL will work. I have spent the better part of 2 days trying to find an aftermarket replacement for the '96-'99 FLTR with no luck, the parts dept and service dept at my local dealership are of zero help if it's not in their computer.
Respects
Walkie Talkie

HD/Wrench

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=888/category_id=520/mode=prod/prd888.htm

They claim is works for the baggers in your year range

Auto meter may have something as well. I have installed them in newer bikes and RK softails etc..

PC_Hater

Being blessed with the same mechanical speedo on the same bike I have often looked at that 'nub' on the top of the gearbox and wondered when I am going to have to have it machined to take the pickup for the electronic speedo...
If we only need to know how fast the bike is going ad forget the other stuff, then there should be a wide range of choices?
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

FSG

QuoteIf we only need to know how fast the bike is going ad forget the other stuff, then there should be a wide range of choices?

:agree:

I'd just use my Smart Phone with a GPS Speedo App 

Walkie Talkie

PC_Hater I'm looking at this one, will lose the self canceling turn signals but all else should work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331669042206?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Respects
Walkie Talkie

smoserx1

If you want your turn signals to self cancel you are probably stuck to an OEM speedometer.  Kind of curious if you can still get one.  One problem (I got the same speedometer in my 99 FLHT), is this one uses a reed switch to send electrical pulses to the turn signal unit, telling the TSM how fast you are going.  It is the same component that the dial of an old rotary phone uses, and I am amazed something like this can last like it does.  OTOH, most of the bikes I grew up on did not have self canceling signals, so I guess remembering to turn them off would not be too hard to relearn.

sfmichael

I need one also for my '03 Deuce. Kind of an orphan year and haven't found a replacement. I'd like to have one with a tach in it.
Anyone have any ideas?
Colorado Springs, CO.