May 02, 2024, 12:35:29 AM

News:

Travel advice Los Angeles to Miami in July

Started by roadking705, April 04, 2009, 09:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadking705

I think I know the answer, but am planning a July ride due east from Los Angeles to Miami. Is it going to be killer hot all the way or could it be reasonable heat?   

Ken R

I'm pretty sure you can plan on killer heat all the way through Texas.  Add humidity to it in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.   :wink:

4DWUDS

Texas will be a welcome cool down from AZ and New Mexico. Best time to ride through there is after dark. You can practice by sitting on your bike, strapping a industrial strength hair dryer on to your bars, point it at your face, set it on scorch. Enjoy. :hyst:
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

Clintster

Why not travel a little north and enjoy it more?  Or travel at night like others have suggested?
Drive fast, take chances

Memnar

Quote from: 4DWUDS on April 05, 2009, 07:53:17 AM
Texas will be a welcome cool down from AZ and New Mexico. Best time to ride through there is after dark. You can practice by sitting on your bike, strapping a industrial strength hair dryer on to your bars, point it at your face, set it on scorch. Enjoy. :hyst:

Its a dry heat man!!!
Albuquerque, NM.

hotham

When we made long trips in the heat we try to sleep during the day and ride at night,  Especially thru the areas with little to see.  Of course, night rides bring their own set of problems

V24me

Fire is a dry heat too!   :hyst:

If you're out for a nice ride I would go alittle north to utah, colorado and so on. Kansas city has some of the most beautiful women in the country. Then on to to mountains of the southeast.  If you're trying to fly there fast put ice in your bandana  :teeth:
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

Bladesmith

Quote from: Memnar on April 05, 2009, 04:52:30 PM
Quote from: 4DWUDS on April 05, 2009, 07:53:17 AM

Its a dry heat man!!!

So is a Pizza oven.....
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Kansas

If time is on your side stay off the interstates.  IMO the roads that begin with an "I" are the hottest most repelling route to get from one place to another.  As much as I like motorcycling and hate flying, I'd sure consider the option.  LA to Miami in July on a bike just doesn't sound like a fun ride to me.

RK101

I think I'd plan a different trip. That heat will drive you into the ground day after day. If you have to go to Miami for a specific reason. I'd either drive in a car or fly. The prices of flying sounds like the best bet. JMHO but that does not sound like that would be a fun trip in July
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

rambo54

My wife and myself went from Roswell,NM to Orlando,FL in July two years ago. We traveled in the morning and the evenings with sight seeing during the day. Averaged 450 miles a day and it wasn't to bad. The bugs a great that time of year.

kickstart

Quote from: roadking705 on April 04, 2009, 09:33:09 PM
I think I know the answer, but am planning a July ride due east from Los Angeles to Miami. Is it going to be killer hot all the way or could it be reasonable heat?   
yeah it will be warm, so what, it's going to be hot whether you go or not.
Wear long sleeves  and a full face helmet with a really dark shiled.
Soak your bandana at every stop.
Drink water or gatorade everytime you gas up.
enjoy
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

Ken R

Even killer heat isn't so bad on a motorcycle; so long as there are some clouds for occasional shade.  Drink plenty of Gatorade and carry cold water on the bike.  It's doable . . . plenty of people do it.   

I prefer blistering heat over rain. 

Ken

Coyote

I did a cross country that way a couple of years ago. Stopped for the first night and before I could unload the bike, my buddy says hey look at your side stand. It sank 2 inches into the parking lot pavement. So he finished his beer and gave me the can to put under the stand. A half an hour later, the beer can was sunk. It was hot.  :crook:

apes

I think the best way to Fla in the dead of summer from LA is north alonth the Pacific Coast Highway to Vancouver BC then east to Maine then down the eastern seaboard

inspector

If you're going to ride in that heat,I would buy a nilon mesh jacket and a cooling vest.They work.