May 08, 2024, 09:47:52 PM

News:

1200c never warms up

Started by speed limit, December 05, 2015, 11:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speed limit

Just picked up a very clean 2004 1200c for my wife its only been started from time to time since 2010 the previous owner had health issues, the problem is it never seems to warm up anytime you push the choke in it spits and sputters, it has s.e. slip ons and a unmolosted air box so I suspect along with a good cleaning it needs to have the backing plate removed and re jetted or should I just replace it with a 42 mikuni ?
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

fbn ent

The stock carb is a good one...could be an intake air leak or some crap in the jets. Try running some Seafoam through it (a couple tanks). Sporties are known to be cold hearted.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

rigidthumper

While you have it apart to clean, go up one size on the pilot jet- that seems to reduce the sniffles to an acceptable level while maintaining decent milage.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

markymark

Wife had an 04 that did the same. Went up on the slow jet from a 42 to a 45 and it made a big difference with the cold drivability issues.

Eccool

Sportsters are known for intake leaks (I had two that had them).  I would start there.

Burnout

Dribble some carb spray on the joints between the manifold and the head. With the motor idling that will show if intake is leaking. It will still likely need a low speed jet change especially if it has an air filter and pipes upgrade.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

messed up

Try seafoam this ethanol gas turns to "Potty mouth" if it sits and gums things up