News:

1950 panhead cylinder heads

Started by wreck74, December 15, 2015, 05:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wreck74

moose

Moose aka Glenn-

CraigArizona85248

Cool. I wonder if the rockers are under the covers.

FSG

QuoteI wonder if the rockers are under the covers.

I thought the same thing myself.  Just had to capture those pix for later.

1950's Harley Davidson Panhead heads

JamLazyAss

I tried asking this question before, but I must have worded it goofy, so here we go again:

Would these "1950" cast heads be the correct ones for my 1952 Pan?
It currently has 1955 cast heads on it, and obviously doesn't seem like they would be original.

Thoughts?
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

HogMike

IIRC the "50" heads would be correct, the 55 heads were different, bigger valves or ports something like that
the 63 heads of course had the outside oilers.
I've have to check my ads from 1955 to be sure, but remember something like that. Too cold and rainy to check the barn and my files, 61 degrees and windy!! Brrrrr
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

JamLazyAss

HogMike

Quote from: JamLazyAss on December 22, 2015, 11:49:05 AM
I tried asking this question before, but I must have worded it goofy, so here we go again:

Would these "1950" cast heads be the correct ones for my 1952 Pan?
It currently has 1955 cast heads on it, and obviously doesn't seem like they would be original.

Thoughts?

Other changes I remember is the '55 heads had thick D rings (6 point hex bolts), rubber band intake, "polished" intake ports. Motor had the "Victory" cam claiming 12% more HP.....woohoo!
Somewhere along in here the ex. valves were different materials along with a change from bronze guides.
To your question, I believe the '50 heads would be correct for the '52.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

JamLazyAss

Were there any heads cast between 50 and 55?
If not, then I guess the 50's have to be correct?

HogMike

I don't remember any casting number changes from 50 through 54 or 55.
56 heads were a bit different but I don't know if the casting was the same, maybe just "hand fitting" upon assembly.
They advertised "mirror polished" intake ports at that time, but, that could have been "advertising" !!
The intake ports were "enlarged" from 49 to 50MY.
I'll have to check my dealer source this Monday (we play this sort of trivia game at dinner)
Problem is, he's 93 and I think his mind is sharper than mine on the older stuff!!
:SM:
I DO remember differences in the heads for my '49, '55, '56, '61 and my '65. Just don't remember the casting numbers. When my partner was alive we bought up lots of Pan parts and I was always trying to make sure the heads were "matched sets" of castings.
Sorry I can't look any more.....all my Pans are gone except for the '65.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal