May 09, 2024, 03:47:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Amp and speakers

Started by Shovel header, December 15, 2015, 05:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shovel header

Ok ....... I recently purchased a 2004 flhti. The seller gave me a head unit out of a 2010 to install in it sense it is a standard model without a stereo. I am thinking about installing a amp and speakers. I am on a low budget and only looking to spend 200 or so. Is it possible to get something for this price ? Or should I just get a good pair of speakers now and upgrade to an amp later ? What do you guys think ? What would be a good setup(speakers, speakers and amp)?
Thanks for any and all the help !!!

biggzed

December 15, 2015, 09:17:01 PM #1 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:52:32 AM by biggzed
Deleted post - Gave incorrect info...

Zach

UltraNutZ

the radio is plug n play with the exception of any external modules and automatic volume control.  Check with Iron Cross Audio on the automatic volume control piece as they might be able to enable it for you.

as for speakers, any good 6.5" 2ohm speaker is what you need.  Make SURE it's a 2 ohm speaker for the stock head unit and buy the best speaker you can afford to buy now and then you can add an amp later on.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Coyote

As Nutz says, the radio is plug and play in a standard configuration (minus avc which ICA can help).

biggzed

Thanks for the correction guys. I didn't think the 2004 bikes used the Harmon Kardon head unit.

Zach

Shovel header

Thank you !!!! Is there a brand I should look for in speakers. Any recommendations?

Bsmith153

Infinity makes a decent 2ohm and I think Kicker but dont quote me on that one. Also the 04s, I have an 04 FLHT, take 5 1/4s, not 6.5s.
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

Bsmith153

Oh and I also agree on the buying a good set of speak r s and upgrading with an Amp when you have more funds. Good equipment is more crucial on a bike due to wind noise and such. I also say ditch the Harley radio when you can, but Ill admit I havent been keeping up with stock Harley radios, i just know they used to be junk, but they must be better now, sonce people keep them.
I race because its Fun!

Shovel header

Would a 6.5 fit with adapter rings ? It doesn't look like there's much room(depth) to be had in there ?
I saw a pair of JBL gto638 that may have had some good reviews. Any thoughts on them?

Bsmith153

Yeah they have plenty of adapters that will work, theres more room than you thimk. I have a set of 6.5" kickers in mine, they were around 100bucks, i think they are the KC 40serie. I have a Kenwood head unit so I didnt have to get 2 ohm speakers, another genius idea from Harley. I would check out crutchfield, they include the adapters sometimes.  As far as JBLs go, I know they used to be pretty good, not sure about that particular model. Just do your homework and im sure youll find a good one. Theres plenty of good ones out there.
I race because its Fun!

UltraNutZ

I played a bit with the GTO638.  Although the specs appear to be rated up there with the best of them, I find they simply don't have the "fullness" that the Kappas do.

As Bsmith153 pointed out, Kicker has several models of the CS series speakers that are quite impressive as well.  I like the 40CS674 myself and especially for the rear tourpak pods because they're very thin and the stock HD grills will fit right over them.

Shovel header

I pulled the trigger !!!!
Bought the pbr300x2 amp 122.50
Kappa 62.11i speakers
Speaker adapter rings
I have been reading a lot about this system and hope it sounds as good as everyone says it does.

UltraNutZ

you'll like it.  especially for the amount of $ you have invested.  One of the best kits out there IMO.

runamuck

since the speakers will essentially be outdoors, are all the ones mentioned here weather resistant? which ones will not crap out a few days after riding thru a rainstorm?..I have been thinking of upgrading the ones on my '09 ultra..

Bsmith153

Ive never had Marine speakers in mine and Ive been caught in Rainstorms for 7 hours straight and they havent quit on me. As long as you get a quality speaker you'll be fine.
I race because its Fun!

tdgriff

Just stay away from paper cones and you will be fine.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: biggzed on December 16, 2015, 10:52:09 AM
Thanks for the correction guys. I didn't think the 2004 bikes used the Harmon Kardon head unit.

Zach

They don't, they used the Radio Sounds head units as they come in stock form but the HK head units can be retro-fitted to them without much of an issue.