May 01, 2024, 06:14:07 PM

News:

SPARK PLUGS

Started by 53Pan66shovel, April 05, 2009, 11:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

53Pan66shovel

best ones to use and plug gaps?

Deye76

I always used Champion, gapped them between .25-.30.
For ignition points, I used Blue Streak #DR2240X, (for a Chevy 6 cylinder), gapped at.18. They would outlast any others I tried.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Pzokes

Everyone has their own preference in spark plugs.  My preference is Autolite 4275.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

53Pan66shovel

i run auto lite 85s gapped at 32

ROG

Quote from: Pzokes on April 06, 2009, 09:14:21 AM
Everyone has their own preference in spark plugs.  My preference is Autolite 4275.
:up:

Pzokes

53Pan66Shovel,

The second number from the right, in Autolite's numbering system, is for even for resistor, or odd for non-resistor.  Why are you using a resistor spark plug?

53Pan66shovel

not sure what that even means lol but whats the diff thats what i was told was the auto light number to a champion should i switch?

Pzokes

Let us know how far you can throw those two #85 spark plugs. 

stroker800

I,ve have great luck with NGK in my shovel & pan  ,,,forget the # off hand ,,,but they are short reach in "stock" hole.. I actually run the screamin eagles in my evo,,( bought a lot at a yard sale) seem to work...
Dave

53Pan66shovel

what should i use then?

Pzokes

You can use the Autolite 4275.  If you like Champion or NGK, go to a good parts store, like NAPA and look at their spark plug interchange chart.  The Harley dealer may still carry genuine HD plugs for your  bike too.  You can start by using the stock plug gap that you'll find in your manual.

stroker800

If you have lectronic ignition ,,I would use the NGKs for sure.  Also work well with points & condenser...Just had great luck so I'm biased..
Dave

wreck74

my old 59 stock 74" converted to 12 volt, likes the harley davidson #3. gapped to 25. good plug for the old panhead engine.

Scooter

Champion J12Y.  I don't do Japanese.

Pzokes

Nippon Geisha Kamikaze  ??

The Champion J12Y has been used in Panheads for years.

stroker800

Since when did the US become a force in electronics,,,its not my fault the Japanese plugs are better.  You gotta give credit where credit is do,, I try to put the BEST parts on my bikes ,,,so if it has to be imported ,,so be it!
Dave

Pzokes

Stroker800,

Autolites & Champion spark plugs are probably not made in America anymore either.

The Japs don't even make their own stuff anymore.  A lot of it is made in Malaysia. 

I'm waiting for the Chinese to import a Panhead.  They are already making all the pieces for Ted's V-Twin Mfg.  I remember when Honda was like the Chinese importing small motorcycles.  The manufacturers in India also have the opportunity to turn their 500cc Enfield into a 1000cc v-twin.  A guy in England has already made a prototype.

I also like to joke that the 5 & 6 speed Harley aftermarket transmissions are made by a Korean company named Mai-Loc-Up.

If the Chinese start importing Panheads will we call them Wok-heads?

stroker800

Pzokes,,,Didn't HD set up a plant in China making a bagger in the 40s called something like a Roiku or something similar...I have read articles bout a HD rep selling before the war in Asai and havint to flee..I know AI mag did an article on it.
Dave

Pzokes

It was in Japan starting before WW II, and I think that they were made until 1957.  I'm not sure of the exact spelling but it did start with an R. 

CraigArizona85248

53Pan66shovel

Well so far I have had best luck with the champions I reduced the feed line to the head and it stopped smoking haven't been burning the plugs up