September 20, 2024, 06:27:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Look What I found

Started by Templar2, December 23, 2015, 03:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Templar2

Tearing down the front, thought I might just go ahead and do the rear bearings while the forks are out to RaceTech.  I found this once I had the wheel off, Metzler880 150/80  2007 FLSTC.  Less than 3K, tire build date 11/2014.  This was one of 4 found on the tire, it was separating big time.

sneakypete

Not surprising for the Mets. Heard about this a couple of years ago. Personally I stopped buying them...
As I recall they were coming up from Brazil like this. 

westbrs

Not much tread left for 3k miles

Templar2

Quote from: westbrs on December 23, 2015, 03:13:51 PM
Not much tread left for 3k miles

Actually that area was showing less tread than the other 90% of the tire, weird.  I check my tires and never saw this, once off the bike I saw what appeared to be a minor separation.  Once I pulled on it this is what came up. 

harvman

I had the same thing happen to my Metz tire. From Brazil.Mine shredded like that pic only worse and in about 15 spots. I won't buy Metz ever again.

Just Nick

And that is why I do not sell or install metzlers and there warranty department is a joke they will blame it on tire pressure as always
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

Templar2

Quote from: Just Nick on December 23, 2015, 05:24:04 PM
And that is why I do not sell or install metzlers and there warranty department is a joke they will blame it on tire pressure as always

What is your recommendation then?  Need 150/80WW16 for the rear and MT90WW16 for the front.

digga25

hogmandon

American Elite 111 dual compound, my 150/80/16 is the widest 150 I have had at just a 1/16th under 6" and it sticks in the turns real good. Smooth and quiet and good in the rain

dakota224

I wont rum Metzlers 880 marathon anymore.. :down:

Finn

I run Marathons as keep doing fine for me.

How about Michelin Commander 2?
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -99 R1100RT | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

tqjunkie

my last two metzler tires did the exact same thing as shown in the picture ,scary,shame they used to be my go to tire ,no more

N-gin

I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Hilly13

That was lucky Templer, could of been nasty.
Just because its said don't make it so

dakota224

I'm back to the stock Dunlop tires ..

Outerlimits

Good catch....thanks for sharing. That could have caused a serious problem.

04 SE Deuce

I've mentioned a few times that I don't even consider the Brazilian offerings that includes the Pirelli Night Dragon that is made in the same plant... real :turd: tire.  -Rick

harleytuner

I had a good buddy go down hard in Tennessee this summer, his 880 blew with 400 miles on it. He's in a lawsuit over it, 3 experts are saying the tire failed

Dan89flstc

Quote from: dakota224 on December 25, 2015, 05:52:59 AM

Nothing but Dunlop tires on my bikes for the past 45 years.
US Navy Veteran 1974-1979 (AD2) A&P Mechanic
1989 FLSTC, 2019 FLHT, 2022 FLHTCUTG

wholehog

no more metzlers for me since they went to Brazil.....try Michelins or Avons

NikonDoofus

Holly crap that was a close one, would not have been pretty.
Made in Brazil..shocker.. :wtf:
Gary
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

a_disalvo

I was told the Brazilian tires were junk, you had to run 50 PSI in them to get any mileage out of them. I like Dunlops, good phone tech support and easy to find on sale!! frank

black

Quote from: dakota224 on December 25, 2015, 05:52:59 AM
:up:Yep 402 always no problems 8000 rear about 18000 front before changin out
send  lawyers guns and money

Wicked

Just another point of note - the Metz ME880's are a old design and have not been their HD spec tire for over 2yrs now...   Some of those did not have quite the load rating that was required...
The newer ME888 is the so called spec tire now and some of those earlier "Venoms X" aren't even offered in HD sizes anymore....   The new "Cobra" 888's appear to be a better tire, however I won't recommend them to customers, and/or I give all my opinions if they got their heart set....
Paul

rageglide

Good catch.   I was just going to mention the same thing Wicked brought up.   Metzler doesn't make a proper load range for baggers.  I hate the 880, ran one set on a softail years ago and it was gone in a few thou miles, squared off like a coker.

I ran a VenomX on my 2005 bagger, it had the load rating equal to the Dunlop Harley was using on baggers.  Wore out way too soon for my tastes though.