May 07, 2024, 12:59:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Leather Bag Inserts

Started by 06ClassicRider, April 05, 2009, 06:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

06ClassicRider

Has anyone made their own leather bag inserts, similar to those of Got Saggy Bags, and with good results?  If so, what did you use for the insert and how did you adhere it the inseert to the leather?  Don't get me wrong, Got Saggy Bags looks like a great product and has received rave reviews, but I was just scratching my head thinkin' this is something that can possibly done with 1/8" plastic and E6000 adhesive.

apes

I like mine and you are right, someone with access to plastic, adhesive and tin snips could do it without any trouble.  The strip that goes along the end and bottom are not glued in, they are just put in and tuck under the lip of the bags.  I had to trim the plastic strip about an inch but it is a tight fit so as to "spring" the ends and bottom outward, I did a test fit before trimming, the top is just a matter of making a template.  At the time I bought mine , If I had the time I would have made.

Panzer

I have leather bags and hate the look when they sag.
Try what I did, costs about $20.00
I went to Lowes and bought #4 bare copper wire.
I formed a piece at a time of the wire inside the leather bag. (forming its shape.)
Being copper, I then soldered the wire together.
Took about two hours per bag to make a skeleton shape of the inner bag, but no more sagging and it won't rust either.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

specialx1

number three is better but you wouldnt know that being unedyoukated n al
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

still_havinfun

old todd had the cheapest method of all. just insert two beachballs and inflate them to desired height. if hauling anything, let that much air out!!!!

ULTRADOG

i went to a local car dealer and talked to the guys that do the ore deliver stuff and got a hanfull of there plasic licence plates they put on the front of cars and just cut those and glued them to the bags the bottom on i did the same as mentioned made it a little big and just layed it in
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

OFBagger

April 08, 2009, 07:46:41 AM #6 Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:13:00 AM by OFBagger
Here is a good source for the plastic

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=76&product%5Fid=3068&cookie%5Ftest=1

1/6" or 3/32" is more than heavy enough
I have used both sizes, the 4'x8' sheets can be rolled up and shipped
the price has doubled in the last 12 years but you can get 5 or 6 sets out of a sheet
I have sold a couple sets to guys here on HTT that worked out well for them for the older style heritage bags
The E6000 adhesive is hard to find in small quantities but GOOP is the retail version of it

On the older style bags, 1994-1998 you only need adhesive for the insert on the lid the other pieces for the bottom and front are slipped under the edges of the seams, you can use some adhesive if necessary

A note to getting them straightned up is to soak them in warm water in bathtub for 4 or 5 hours and let them dry for a week with  some plywood streachers inside them before cutting the plastic to fit.  Snow Seal works good to oil up the outside when finished.

OFB

mkd

i went with bagshapers for my springer saddlebags.they are one piece for each bag and are layed in and bent and nothing to hold them in place. there is plenty of things to make them out of but the hard part is making them fit right. implement dealers and farm stores sell belts used to run pto's that would be good stiffners.

Tsani

I use Plastic corregated "cardboard".  Works great, lite weight, cheap and does not take up a lot of room.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier