April 27, 2024, 07:12:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2014 FLHXS battery charger adapter not working

Started by 7hogs, January 02, 2016, 01:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7hogs

I went to hook up my charger to my wife's SG and it was not working so it looks like it is through the harness pulled the battery fuse and its good. Where does the charger harness hook up? Prolly should go buy a manual.

Bike31

Harness goes directly to the battery terminals and usually has it's own fuse (~7.5A) in a holder.

7hogs

Quote from: Bike31 on January 02, 2016, 01:45:28 PM
Harness goes directly to the battery terminals and usually has it's own fuse (~7.5A) in a holder.

Not on this bike or my other 2014 SG the harness goes into another harness and there is a battery fuse for 7.5 amps (which I was thinking that was for the charging harness) in the fuse box.

Bike31

January 02, 2016, 01:58:40 PM #3 Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 02:12:26 PM by Bike31
It can be wired to the battery direct if aftermarket install, or if factory install it's wired to the 20A P&A fuse and on to the battery through the main fuse. The ground connects to the P&A connector ground/black wire and then on to one of the common grounds external to the battery.

See if you have continuity from the B+ on the charger adapter to both sides of the P&A fuse (Red adapter>Red/Blue>fuse>Red>battery wires)? See if you have the same from the charger plug B- to bike ground (Black wire).

7hogs

Quote from: Bike31 on January 02, 2016, 01:58:40 PM
It can be wired to the battery direct if aftermarket install, or if factory install it's wired to the 20A P&A fuse and on to the battery through the main fuse. The ground connects to the P&A connector ground/black wire and then on to one of the common grounds external to the battery.

See if you have continuity from the B+ on the charger adapter to both sides of the P&A fuse (Red adapter>Red/Blue>fuse>Red>battery wires)? See if you have the same from the charger plug B- to bike ground (Black wire).

I'll check it out more when it warms up............ I had a few of the pigtails so I just hooked another one up for now.

thanks!