May 01, 2024, 10:29:10 PM

News:

OT - Loaded Magazine

Started by f-x-d-w-g, April 06, 2009, 05:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f-x-d-w-g

Just curious - is there a problem with keeping a pistol magazine partially or fully loaded all the time?  Would the spring take a set over time and then not feed reliably?
Dan
Tijeras, NM

slo-poke 03

not in your life time I shot a 1911 that had been loaded for decades... bang bang bang no prblem

Dennis The Menace

I've had a couple mags have the spring pressure noticeably reduced, but it still fired fine in the gun.  I am talking about 12 years with one mag, probably 8-9 years the other.  Still works.  It was a lowly 22 kept at bedside, not a target/fun handgun....those see rounds emptying on a fairly regular basis.

menace

Phu Cat

Depends.  Are you going to be betting your life on this weapon?  Unless it is stored under sterile conditions, the spring may atleast get dirty, possibly rusty.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

xxxflhrci

I carry one mag in my gun at two on my belt at work.  The only time they get "unloaded" is at our bi-annual qualifications.  My mags are now going on ten years old.  I have yet to have a malfunction.  This is with a Glock.  However, it was the same back when I carried a S&W, which I had for 7 years.

2003flht

Quote from: Phu Cat on April 06, 2009, 06:09:24 AM
Depends.  Are you going to be betting your life on this weapon?  Unless it is stored under sterile conditions, the spring may atleast get dirty, possibly rusty.

PC

I own 'several' auto-loaders.  All my magazines stay fully loaded.  Some for the last 20+ years.  When i go the the range, i usually cycle through the mags several times.  Never had a problem with any of them. 

Rust, filth, dirt?   Nope,  I always clean after i am shooting them.  Spray the mags and springs with WD-40, wipe 'em down, and back in the safe they go, fully loaded.  Cleanlines is your friend with firearms.  Do this and they'll last a lifetime and more.
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

76shuvlinoff

I was always told what wears out any spring is loading and unloading, maintaining a compressed state does not. However if you add moisture that's a different problem.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

f-x-d-w-g

Thanks for the good replies!  It's a Beretta 92FS and, in the past, it's only been loaded in the woods or on the range.  I was just curious but, yes, it's very clean, lubricated, and kept in a case.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

Diggs223

to repeat, generally no problems, modern materials and methods in manufacture. whether its guns or oils, worries that were necessary at the turn of the century have carried over as old habits, handed down through the generations.
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

Phu Cat

Rust, filth, dirt?   Nope,  I always clean after i am shooting them. Smart man.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

2003flht

Quote from: Phu Cat on April 06, 2009, 03:23:38 PM
Rust, filth, dirt?   Nope,  I always clean after i am shooting them. Smart man.

PC

My life may depend on these...     I treat them better than my OL sometimes... :wink:

Short story:  Went to the range several months ago with a friend.  He carries a S&W 4506.  Pulls the thind out, pulls the trigger, CLICK, CLICK...  nothing!   I take a look at it and the thing is so dirty I had a hard time pulling the slide back!  The firing pin has all gunked up you couldnt even see thru the hole on the breech face.  He told me that he has shot it "several" times and hasnt cleaned it since, and that it was under the seat of his truck all winter!

Not a good way to treat something that may save your life someday........   
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

Sportsterboy

Sounds like he need to "carry" it somewhere besides under the seat of his truck.  I know under the truck seat of trucks I have owned were not exactly the cleanest places in the world...... :wink:

2003flht

I've been in trucks that i was AFRAID to put my hands underneath the seat!   
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

slo-poke 03

If you are not going to mantain them/check them and pratice clearing problems, then you are better off with a revolver. Revolvers will give you the best chance of hearing a bang when you need it if you are going to treat the item you might be trusting your life to like crap. Thats just my opinion every one is free to disagree, it won't make me feel bad, I'am not going to change my mind.

texaskatfish

Quote from: 2003flht on April 07, 2009, 06:01:29 AM
I've been in trucks that i was AFRAID to put my hands underneath the seat!   

Hehehehehehee - I've OWNED trucks I was afraid to reach under the seat of!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

4DWUDS

I've seen trucks I was afraid to even SIT IN. much less reach under the seat.  :hyst:
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

harborjohn

Quote from: slo-poke 03 on April 07, 2009, 08:36:02 AM
If you are not going to mantain them/check them and pratice clearing problems, then you are better off with a revolver. Revolvers will give you the best chance of hearing a bang when you need it if you are going to treat the item you might be trusting your life to like crap. Thats just my opinion every one is free to disagree, it won't make me feel bad, I'am not going to change my mind.
:up:

Scurvy

Good info! I have 3 magazines that I would cycle through, keeping one loaded, every so often. I just won't give it a second thought now. They get emptied at the range several times a year anyways.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT