April 28, 2024, 04:21:49 AM

News:

KNUCKLEHEAD OIL PUMP

Started by HOLMES, April 06, 2009, 07:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOLMES

I have a 74" knucklehead. I just got done installing new cylinders and pistons. I have the motor completely assembled and on a motor stand. Is there a way to bench test the motor for sufficient oil flow. The reason for asking is that when I disassembled it, there was no oil on the push rods.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You,
Neil

chris haynes

Do you mean the pushrods were bone dry or simply no oil filling them? Oil drains from the pushrods. Once the bike is started simply remove the dip stick, stick yer finger in the hole by the return line and see if oil is returning from the engine. That is all ya need on a Knuck.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

HOLMES

Thanks for your response Chris,
It's been about 5 years since I've Had it running. I believe the push rods were bone dry. I'll continue putting the bike together and check it like you said with the bike running. If you have any more advice I would appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Neil

ricochet

I always loosen the oil line fitting going into one of the rocker covers and look for oil to flow a bit to be sure the top end  is getting some.  Keep a rag handy to keep things clean.  If oil is not returning from the heads to the lower end you'll find out soon enough but it's not a damaging situation.  That would usually indicate a vacuum leak in the pushrod tubes or more difficult problem with the scavenging side of the pump.

ricochet

ridgerider

i have taken the large knuckle nut off all four rocker shafts to verify oil flow through the rockers.. whose cylinders did you use, i am looking for new 74" cylinders for my 47'

HOLMES

To all,
After taking my oil pump back off and cleaning again, I was able to get oil flowing to the heads.

Ridgerider - Do to the money situation I had to go with V-TWIN cylinders and pistons. I wasn't very satisfied the last time I used them but I think I was running the bike to lean. Chris Haynes suggest cylinders made by Mike Brown. I googled it to find it. Chris has also commented about these cylinders in previous posts on this site.

Thank you all for your input!
Neil

ricochet

I have a new set of Mike Brown's cylinders and had them finsihed up to a set of S & S stroker pistons but have yet to install them though.  Looks good.  Were $550 when I bought them quite a while ago.

ricochet

ridgerider

i contacted mike brown and he does not have any cylinders available now,,,any other recomendations?