May 02, 2024, 08:15:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Craftsman #52105 worth it?

Started by Dieselhed, January 23, 2016, 11:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselhed

I have the rocker boxes off of my 2009 street glide  for powder coating this winter.   The threads inside of the bolt holes of the heads or littered with old Loctite.   Me being the goober I am a bout torque values and cleanliness is it worth investing in this thread restorer?   Anyone using it?   Not sure what the various thread pitches are on the heads and rocker boxes  but I assume they are included in this kit. 

2002 Deuce SE 103"
2009 Street Glide

biggzed

I have that kit and use it whenever I can. The size for rocker box bolts is included.

Zach

turboprop

This set?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-40pc-Master-Rethreader-Tap-and-Die-Set-9-52105-/140994667685

I have this set and use probably every time a work anything that requires locktite and/or a torque wrench. Its actually manufactured by Hansen. The same kit is available in private label form from all of the tool trucks.

Under the sears label, I was unable to purchase replacement pieces. So over the course of a few years, some of the more frequently used bits have been replaced with Snap-On.

This thread is bound to result in another thread restorer vs tap discussion (good grief), but to answer your question, it is a worthwhile investment and every size and thread in your engine will be in this kit.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

FSG

Yes it is

If you don't have one already be sure to get a ball inflation needle to fit your air nozzle, they are perfect for blowing out the blind holes once you've been at them with thread restorers and brake clean.

Ohio HD

I have them as well, they're great quality.

Coyote

I bought this one off of Amazon.  It stays at the front of the drawer since I'm always using it. The tap set stays put away.

[attach=0]

mattVA

Another vote for the Craftsman. It's the same one the tool trucks sell. I also keep it at the front of my drawer with the lid unlatched because I'm always using it. Indispensable in my opinion.
2009 FXDF

calif phil

That's a god price on that Craftsman set. 

Breeze

I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

turboprop

Quote from: FSG on January 23, 2016, 11:57:11 AM
Yes it is

If you don't have one already be sure to get a ball inflation needle to fit your air nozzle, they are perfect for blowing out the blind holes once you've been at them with thread restorers and brake clean.

Thats freaking ingenious. I am going out right now to get one of this ball inflater attachments.

wfolarry

Quote from: turboprop on January 23, 2016, 12:32:46 PM
Quote from: FSG on January 23, 2016, 11:57:11 AM
Yes it is

Thats freaking ingenious. I am going out right now to get one of this ball inflater attachments.

I've been using mine for years. That needle gets in a lot of oil passages too.

turboprop

What the hell, who else know about this ball inflator thing and why have you guys been holding out?

mattVA

Quote from: turboprop on January 23, 2016, 12:38:42 PM
What the hell, who else know about this ball inflator thing and why have you guys been holding out?

There's a club. . .you didn't get the invite?  :hyst:
2009 FXDF

Hossamania

Funny!

I also have that set and use it often. Had it for 15? years, $48 back then. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. She loves me.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

mattVA

I think I have the inflator attachment but I've found using the regular rubber nozzle works pretty good. Guess I'll give it a 'shot'.
2009 FXDF

FSG

:teeth:   been posting pix and suggestions for years    :chop:

here's one

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,67421.msg724243.html#msg724243

BUBBIE

Quote from: Breeze on January 23, 2016, 12:32:05 PM
Quote from: Xyzzy on January 23, 2016, 12:13:12 PM
I bought one of these yesterday. $50 with free shipping.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-48-pc-sae-metric-thread-restorer-kit/p-00942275000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Talk about an impulse buy, I just placed my order!

Well Well pete,,,  Great minds work on the same Channel... Tks...

I am placing my order after post... I had a lot of Stuff but sold all with my shop... :slap:

This will help clean out the ID holes n OD threads...  :SM:

Tks Xyzzy.... Best price offer...http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-48-pc-sae-metric-thread-restorer-kit/p-00942275000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

signed....BUBBIE

Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

turboprop

So I just finished going through the drawer with all the various air hose fittings, and surprisingly, I don't have the stuff needed to rig this up.

$10 on Amazon. I could have piece meal'd it for a buck or two less but this option provides a dedicated nozzle.

Learning has occurred. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Blow-Gun-Interchangeable-Nozzles/dp/B0017JSD34

biggzed

ballinflatercartel.com

Just kidding Ed.

Zach

Dieselhed

2002 Deuce SE 103"
2009 Street Glide

Alien

rageglide

Hitting a blind hole up with the rubber tip or straight nozzle seems to deal with the majority of the built up loctite crud.  Not saying the inflator tip can't do a better job.  Will have to try it sometime.

Anyone know the diff between the 40 and 48 piece kits?  Are they also mfgr'd by the same shop?

1FSTRK

Nice thing about a ball tip is you can get it to the back of the hole before you hit the trigger and blow the stuff out instead of in.
Try it, you'll like it.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

FSG

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 23, 2016, 04:36:24 PM
Nice thing about a ball tip is you can get it to the back of the hole before you hit the trigger and blow the stuff out instead of in.
Try it, you'll like it.

Bingo    :SM: