April 27, 2024, 01:33:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clarification on AMRA Street Dresser rules

Started by hrdtail78, January 28, 2016, 07:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdtail78

Second para under the "D"  Street Dresser on p.24 states:

"Must be a stock Chassis (Stock Chassis means a stock
Non-FX, frame and stock length, and Width swing arm, if so
equipped. The combination of these items will produce a wheelbase,
as defined by the manufacturer.)"

I read this as any swing arm can be used as long as it is of stock width, length, and it doesn't change wheel base from stock.  This would include aftermarket arms including ones made of aluminum.

So, could a stock width and length arm made out of aluminum jam me up in tech?
Semper Fi

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Racepres

Believe it or not...we have Class Advisors for such things.
But, To preclude reading anything into the rule book or extrapolating...read the very first rule
GR-1
The authority of the event director/tech official to make any
rules/regulation decision whatsoever shall be absolute.  Specifically
if it is not stated that something is a Safe and Legal Design
Modification, then it should be known that it is Illegal.

There is a Reason that these rules are before the Class rules...
Try to write a rule book that tells all of us All of the Things that we Cannot do.....

More directly to the Point, I would probably let a Custom swingarm Pass, but, I will take it up with a class advisor, or two..
It is ...after all...Their Class.

rigidthumper

Is the stock 09 and newer swingarm aluminum?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jonny Cash

Quote from: No Cents on January 28, 2016, 08:11:30 AM
   :agree:  X2
inquiring minds want to know.

Ray

I'm interested to know also.   While doing my chain conversion I've run into a snag with chain adjustment length and need to modify the arm just a bit, was  considering an Trac arm instead of hacking on the stock swingarm. 

Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

strokerjlk

Quote from: Racepres on January 28, 2016, 08:25:16 AM
Believe it or not...we have Class Advisors for such things.
But, To preclude reading anything into the rule book or extrapolating...read the very first rule
GR-1
The authority of the event director/tech official to make any
rules/regulation decision whatsoever shall be absolute.  Specifically
if it is not stated that something is a Safe and Legal Design
Modification, then it should be known that it is Illegal.

There is a Reason that these rules are before the Class rules...
Try to write a rule book that tells all of us All of the Things that we Cannot do.....

More directly to the Point, I would probably let a Custom swingarm Pass, but, I will take it up with a class advisor, or two..
It is ...after all...Their Class.
alum is not stock. stock is stock . I asked about  swing arms 3 years ago ,when i saw the 99-2002 bikes running 180mm tires and updated swing arms, i was told any factory stock swing arm that is available for factory production was allowed . no alum. this was from Gregg who was acting tech director .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

hrdtail78

I read it different.  I read it as the swing arm needs to be stock in it's width and length, but the piece doesn't have to be stock.  Punctuation can do different things. 

That is why I asked.  I'm not concerned about a couple of years ago.  I am more concerned about the 2016 season, and I believe these other guys are as well. 
Semper Fi

strokerjlk

Quote from: hrdtail78 on January 31, 2016, 07:14:07 AM
I read it different.  I read it as the swing arm needs to be stock in it's width and length, but the piece doesn't have to be stock.  Punctuation can do different things. 

That is why I asked.  I'm not concerned about a couple of years ago.  I am more concerned about the 2016 season, and I believe these other guys are as well.
i am telling ya how the rules that are in place were explained to me by the tech adviser.
the way you ask for a change in rules is....come and race,become a member in the class you want to run. the rules meeting is in NOV.  attend the meeting and present your request
then the participants in that class can discuss it ,and come to some kind of agreement. and of course Marty has the final say.
i can tell you based on conversations with the other guys in this class,if there is any change in rules on swing arm ,some  would want extended.if alum is allowed.

if all three of you show up to up race with alum swing arms this season,at the same race ? we can have a outlaw race. the winner of street dresser only wins 100.00., I will put that up for the winner. if Kadafi is there who knows how much he would put up. he is already committed to 4000.00 for 3 races.

or come and race a season by the rules in place and then suggest changes to the current rules at the meeting next Nov. :beer:

John/1

What is the biggest tire that will fit a 2005 FLHTC with a chain drive.
John

strokerjlk

Quote from: John/1 on January 31, 2016, 08:01:10 AM
John
180 mm has been done. trim stock fender

strokerjlk

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 31, 2016, 08:11:36 AM
Quote from: John/1 on January 31, 2016, 08:01:10 AM
John
180 mm has been done. trim stock fender
you can also use a stock 2007 CVO  up fender,as there were more than 30 produced from the factory.
no upside down alum V rod swing arms,as i asked that too.

Jonny Cash

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 31, 2016, 07:50:16 AM

i am telling ya how the rules that are in place were explained to me by the tech adviser.
the way you ask for a change in rules is....come and race,become a member in the class you want to run. the rules meeting is in NOV.  attend the meeting and present your request
then the participants in that class can discuss it ,and come to some kind of agreement. and of course Marty has the final say.
i can tell you based on conversations with the other guys in this class,if there is any change in rules on swing arm ,some  would want extended.if alum is allowed.

if all three of you show up to up race with alum swing arms this season,at the same race ? we can have a outlaw race. the winner of street dresser only wins 100.00., I will put that up for the winner. if Kadafi is there who knows how much he would put up. he is already committed to 4000.00 for 3 races.

or come and race a season by the rules in place and then suggest changes to the current rules at the meeting next Nov. :beer:

I have modded my stock swing arm slightly so I can get proper chain adjustment with the gear combo I am going to try this year, don't know if that makes mine legal or not.   I plan on running a couple local bracket programs getting experience.  Bowling Green is close enough I could make it.  I won't have enough HP to be competitive this year but hoping to address that next winter.

strokerjlk

Quote from: Jonny Cash on January 31, 2016, 09:01:13 AM
Quote from: strokerjlk on January 31, 2016, 07:50:16 AM

I have modded my stock swing arm slightly so I can get proper chain adjustment with the gear combo I am going to try this year, don't know if that makes mine legal or not.   I plan on running a couple local bracket programs getting experience.  Bowling Green is close enough I could make it.  I won't have enough HP to be competitive this year but hoping to address that next winter.
I'd say your fine . As long as its safely done .

Racepres

Now is the time to start racing...Having the baddest motor in the land, without the experience to "Race" is a Bad combo...
If 100 guys go racing...One still only Wins...so?? the other 99 are Losers????
The Only losers are the ones who don't compete...

Experience is Everything....

Jonny Cash

Quote from: Racepres on January 31, 2016, 09:13:31 AM

Now is the time to start racing...Having the baddest motor in the land, without the experience to "Race" is a Bad combo...
If 100 guys go racing...One still only Wins...so?? the other 99 are Losers????
The Only losers are the ones who don't compete...

Experience is Everything....

That's my plan, have two local tracks that I can race every weekend, both have very good numbers.  Beacon usually has 20-25 bikes weekly.  I should get plenty of passes this year. 

No Cents

Marty...if the aluminum swing arm is out...can you take your stock swing arm and have it changed on the ends for the older style chain tensioners like the offering RB Racing offers using steel inserts welded into the ends of the stock swing arm after cutting off the later style cam tensioner ends?
The swing arm isn't lengthened...just the different ends welded on to allow the bike to be able to keep it's proper chain adjustment using the older style chain adjusters.
I've read the rule book over and over...and this area still seems like a gray area to me.
It would be nice to find out the answer were looking for before changing to something that won't pass thru tech.

Ray

strokerjlk

Quote from: No Cents on January 31, 2016, 10:00:42 AM
   Marty...if the aluminum swing arm is out...can you take your stock swing arm and have it changed on the ends for the older style chain tensioners like the offering RB Racing offers using steel inserts welded into the ends of the stock swing arm after cutting off the later style cam tensioner ends?
The swing arm isn't lengthened...just the different ends welded on to allow the bike to be able to keep it's proper chain adjustment using the older style chain adjusters.
I've read the rule book over and over...and this area still seems like a gray area to me.
It would be nice to find out the answer were looking for before changing to something that won't pass thru tech.

Ray
No one will have a problem with that . I have asked that as well . I can convert mine to early model .
Gregg even suggest it  :up:

Racepres

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 31, 2016, 10:30:32 AM
Quote from: No Cents on January 31, 2016, 10:00:42 AM

Ray
No one will have a problem with that . I have asked that as well . I can convert mine to early model .
Gregg even suggest it  :up:

Thanks Jim....That is correct...we have rules...but, we ain't totally anal!!

No Cents

I was talking to Josh on the phone the other day and he mentioned that Gregg Dahl's shop offers this kind of service for the stock swing arms.
  I might have to give Gregg a call to see what his thoughts are on this whole swing arm matter, and see if doing this kind of option would be allowed. If so...I'll see what he charges to do this service to a swing arm.

this is the RB Racings 08- down swing arm in stock length with the old style chain tensioners added to the ends.
[attach=0]

Ray

Racepres

Looks like a Maintenance procedure to me...What do you think Jim??

I'll Stand you on that one..I think you'll be just fine...Or...Refer to Rule #1

strokerjlk

Quote from: Racepres on January 31, 2016, 04:14:29 PM
Looks like a Maintenance procedure to me...What do you think Jim??

I'll Stand you on that one..I think you'll be just fine...Or...Refer to Rule #1
I don't see anyone having a  problem with it .

hrdtail78

Really appreciate the feed back.   Confirms I am on the correct path setting up my bike.

Semper Fi

WideWildGlide

Hopefully I will get to meet y'all in Bowling Green