May 02, 2024, 01:20:25 AM

News:

Engine Black Cleaner

Started by 74 Monaco, April 06, 2009, 08:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74 Monaco

Hey just wondering what does everybody use to clean the black on the engine?

Thanks

03deuce

Princess Butt

I'll just scrub it with some soapy water and a brush.

Spray it with silicone spray a couple times a year. That seems to help preserve the finish.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Upswept

WD-40 will get it looking like new.  WD-40 is a better cleaner than it is a penitrating oil.

jd8181

2003 Night Train 95" SE Pistons, S&S Cams, Hooker's , SERT, etc....
What's Next

96FLSTF

S100 Engine Brightener.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

ClassicRider2002

April 07, 2009, 06:32:05 AM #6 Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:36:48 AM by ClassicRider2002
As far as "cleaning" the black powdercoating of the engine.....I use a product called BikeBrite they have a website simply CLICK HERE

Motorcycle Spray Wash
Bike Brite's® fantastic triple action formula washes, cleans and degreases from headlight to taillight! Specially formulated for motorcycles and motorbikes, Bike Brite has been recommended and approved by leading motorcycle manufacturers. Biodegradable, non-acid, pH controlled and containing corrosion inhibitors. Special brighteners help keep rust and grease from forming. Just spray it on and hose it off. What could be easier?

The product above works very easily.....and does a very nice job.....it's pretty expensive however, nearly @ $12.00 for a quart of the product.  But it is an excellent degreaser.....with some light scrubbing it does a very nice job.  It will of course last for several bike washings depending on how dirty the bike is.....

After the engine/tires (except for tins) have been cleaned with this.....and the bike has been dried by either a leaf blower or a 10 mile short ride....then I apply the S100 Engine Brightner on the black portion of the engine...ie: fins of cylinders, etc....another option that some guys use is WD40 for this application, they say it really works well.....I have not used WD 40 myself, after I apply the S100 it's out for another 10 mile ride....and I let the engine heat the product on...sort of like "baking" it on.....I only do the S100 once to a max of twice a year.....it typically takes an entire small can of it.  To spray it....you want to make sure your application of this product isn't where you normally keep your bike in your gargage....as the "spray" has a very "slick" type residue and if it gets on the floor you might have a Jerry Lewis moment......so just be aware.....I want to try the WD 40 I have read good things about this option as well. 

The S100 really brings the black out and makes it "pop"and it can (until after a few rides) actually leave you thinking you might have a weeping gasket for awhile because it tends to "shine" up the area where it is applied.....resulting in an appearance that you have an "oily" spot ie: weeping....so just be aware of that.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

rad3766

The S-100 seems to hold up pretty well.   :smiled:
98 FLHTPI Miss Suzy HOG, AMA, IBA, PGR

Babygirl73

Now I thought all men only used WD-40?  :teeth:
Babygirl AKA Gin

harley883r

One Day At A Time