April 27, 2024, 04:39:09 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil leak 78xlh

Started by Skelly, February 01, 2016, 07:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skelly

February 01, 2016, 07:01:18 PM Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:22:02 PM by Skelly
need help understanding why oil will piss out bottom bolt hole for front sprocket cover- the main seal is dry and looks good- finally found this leak as was rolling her outside for a little wash and had the chain and cover off- I have been looking for this leak for a while so any input would be appreciated greatly- hope its not someone punched too long a bolt in her as every time I have taken cover off I use the same bolts that came out...

Racepres

Sounds like a missing bolt in the cover if it is Pissing...
I don't recall the bolts going all the way into the tranny [assuming it is tranny fluid you are loosing] But alot of fingers could have fingered the old girl since 1978...That cover was fragile, especially if a Kicker was added without the support "Fix" the company offered later. I use 1104 3-bond on thread of fasteners that contact oil..
Oil out, three-bonded screw in then add oil back.

Skelly

February 02, 2016, 10:54:31 AM #2 Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:56:43 AM by Skelly
Yes there has been alot of work done on her and sealant will go back on that bolt but just don't know why its happening... No kicker as I know has been installed before but that does get my mind rolling... Story was lone star went in several times on the build before I got her... She does hit a mean lick though...thanks man...

Skelly

Not dishing lone star by any means and besides that was many years ago so...

Racepres

I have Never had one leak at that location...But, That don't mean nothing.
Maybe a Picture of that bolt hole??? I'm starting to think there was a locating hollow dowell there...CRS...

Vic Chichester

All it takes is one guy to run the wrong long bolt in the wrong hole one time and you have a bolt punched through into the trans cavity and the oil leak to go with it.

nibroc

Quote from: Vic Chichester on February 02, 2016, 06:15:21 PM
All it takes is one guy to run the wrong long bolt in the wrong hole one time and you have a bolt punched through into the trans cavity and the oil leak to go with it.

AMEN

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Skelly

Yes there is a locator that goes there... It is bottom hole for sprocket cover directly under shaft and there is a plug where I think a kicker could be installed but to my knowledge there has never been one... Plug looks factory... Will get a pic and try to post soon... Thanks for help and advise as I want to get her back on the road again...

Burnout

Lower bolt for the kicker cover on some years goes through to the trans oil. Not sure if that was oem or is the result of a long screw. Lean the bike to the left to stop oil and put sealer on screw.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Skelly

Quote from: Racepres on February 02, 2016, 11:52:15 AM
I have Never had one leak at that location...But, That don't mean nothing.
Maybe a Picture of that bolt hole??? I'm starting to think there was a locating hollow dowell there...CRS...

Skelly

75th anniversary model...

Racepres

Yep...Locating hollow dowel huh.
That bolt has been screwed in too far in the past, and broke thru the Tranny case.
I'm thinking that until it was having the cases split so you can weld it..I would be applying 1104 3-Bond to the bolt threads, and around the Dowel, assemble and hope...
BTW Looking at that pic, I'm wondering if maybe this wouldn't be a Good time to replace the sprocket shaft seal ....
Unless that is Just chain lube I'm seeing...

BTW that is Not a Plug you are seeing...that is a Cup Bearing for the Countershaft...

Skelly

Yes after getting the brake cable and switch plate off and getting her up on the lift I can see it better... The switch is bad cause the stop screw vibrated  allway down letting the lever hit too hard on the button so will replace that but the sprocket shaft seal actually looks good behind sprocket and that is chain lube throw off can see as I use that chain lube that comes out like oil then changes to grease and supposed to be''non sling'' off... Thank you all much for input...

ihrescue

You really have to pay attention the dealing with the sprocket cover as there are at leas two different length screws. All you need is one of the longer screws in the short bore and it could be toast. I compare the screw lengths as shown in the Parts Catalog to match screws to the right holes.Just to be sure.

Skelly

toast? don't want that, thanks will keep close eye on it...