May 07, 2024, 03:09:34 PM

News:

Buell 1125R Wins!

Started by CDeucer, April 07, 2009, 08:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDeucer

RVGRG

He didn't just win, he dominated the whole race. He looked over his shoulder coming out of the last turn pulled a finish line wheelie that was friggen awesome!!!!

4DWUDS

Great race, Hearing that motor over all the bumble bees was sweet. Its' too bad we are still the Redheaded Stepchild in the Dealers Showroom. 
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

Glenn W

Umm, if I read the article right he was racing against 600cc bikes? I don't follow the racing too close, am I missing something?
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

RVGRG

You are correct there were 600's in that race as well as 900's and a hodge podge of others. Not sure of the rules for this class. This is not the superbike class it is a different class. I think last year it was called FX for formula extreme, but don't quote me on that.

4DWUDS

Maybe it has to do with the amount of pistons. 4 pistons allowed 600cc's, 2 pistons allowed 1200cc's, that would mean a thumper with 2400cc's, YEEEE HAAAA

harborjohn

Dont let the Buell fool you. Its not a Harley or a Buell Motor. And still with its 1125cc its HP is equal to a Jap 600cc.

RVGRG

Just read the specs on this class. Called supersport and the Buel is the only non 600 in that class. My previous info was incorrect, sorry. But still was a hell of a race for Buel!!!!

harborjohn

Reminds me of Motocross of a few years ago when they were making  a big deal that 4 strokes were beating 2 strokes. What they fail to say is that they were racing 250cc for strokes against 125cc 2 strokes and 450s against 250s.

4DWUDS

So is the class based on HP to Weight ratio and not by cc's ?

help-u2

i limp, cant run....sorta walk.  but i  can still  beat a one legged man.
kinda like running a 1125 against a 600 and bragging you won. 
hollow victory in my opinine.....
alos kinda like pro stock drag racing.  the weight and cubic inch advantages given to v-rod/buell in the 1/4 mile....

help-u2

p.s.   the two storke/four storke argument is not valid here.  they all four strokes.
and in the motocross guys defence a 2 stroke has power every time down. a 4 stroke every other time.
so disregarding torque of the 4 stroke they should make same amount of power per crank revolution...     taa daa   
i also like listening to the ducs run against the whirring jap bikes....nice growl....

codyshop

Austria must be proud.  Ray

harborjohn

Quote from: help-u2 on April 07, 2009, 04:36:34 PM
p.s.   the two storke/four storke argument is not valid here.  they all four strokes.
and in the motocross guys defence a 2 stroke has power every time down. a 4 stroke every other time.
so disregarding torque of the 4 stroke they should make same amount of power per crank revolution...     taa daa   
i also like listening to the ducs run against the whirring jap bikes....nice growl....
The point i was trying to make is the need to race apples against apples and oranges against oranges and the fact that a heavyweight should not be in the ring with a flyweight.

ederdelyi

Don't forget that a motor with more cylinders will make power differently than one of equal displacement with fewer cylinders. Think about power strokes per crank revolution ... and then add in some other factors. Attempts to "level the playing field" are all over the racing venues. Since they can't afford to have a class for every possible configuration and it likely would not draw sufficient gate revenues to survive, they attempt to accomodate all entries and make the class competitive and entertaining for the paying customers ... no spectators = death of the venue.

Clintster

April 07, 2009, 06:42:19 PM #15 Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:45:20 PM by Clintster
Like when they used to run the RC 51 with multiple cylinder bikes.   Wonder if we'll see some form of the Rotax in an HD chassis.  53 degree vee or something.  Where is that motor making it's power, more torque than HP ? I like the fact the bike is American made and they are winning.  Anyone ride the 1125 ?
Drive fast, take chances

ederdelyi

>>Wonder if we'll see some form of the Rotax in an HD chassis.<<

Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen

>>Where is that motor making it's power, more torque than HP ?<<

More HP than TQ.

>>Anyone ride the 1125 ?<<

Yep, I liked it. Great canyon carvers/street fighters, that has always been Buell's place in the sun.
The new Ulysses is a pretty nice bikeas well, but it could use a little more motor to make it really nice, IMO.

Glenn W

Good discussion, thanks. I remember when the Suzukis were dominating in the top class drag bikes & they did some weight juggling for the H-D based ones to compete. Not sure how it's being done now but sure has been some great drag racing lately. Been fun to see the V&H twins coming up against the inline4's and knowing it'll all come down to the driver. The whole Buell thing has always stumped me though, his ideas are often novel and the bikes are cool but IMHO he sure hobbled himself by basing a whole sportbike around a Sporty engine. Doesn't seem right to let it run against 600cc bikes to me. How would it shape up against similar sized v2s from Ducati & Apprilla?
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

CDeucer

My very limited racing knowledge comes from attending the Springfield Mile, the National Drag Races at Rt. 66 in Joliet, and the Peoria TT's here in Illinois. Wether Buell is cheating or not, I will be watching road racing more in the future.  Harley's short lived attempt to compete in the Superbike competition a few years ago also peaked my interest. And that Vance & Hines drag bike is awesome! Heres a couple of videos on the 1125R: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29kwDjwirVc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSVZ0i-wtXA

help-u2

broke the foot peg on my buell xb.   (no, i wasnt leaned over.   i cannot lie.  backed it into a door jam)
sooo rode the 80 miles to nearest buell dealer.  called first.  they even had it in stock.
they are the biggest stocking buell dealer i have been to yet.  had 5 1125's there.  a parts guy took one to a track day.  lots of regular buells there also.  i was in buell heaven.
anyway, i was playing around with the 1125.  liked almost everything about it....the air scoops for water cooling are super ugly and stick out like dumbo ears.
still might have bought one....it was a new 08 for $8,000.   yepper a 3k discount...
BUT.....i am  old.  i can hunker down on mine cause it has handlebars.   these things are flat off the top tripple tree.  not clipons.  but flat enough where the pressure on wrist and lower back and well, everything is more suited to 20 something year olds.....
built form the rider down is their motto... not 60 year old busted riders i found out....
still would be nice in the stable.  especially at that price.....

and yes HARBORJOHN i agree competely.  1125 vs 600 is not right..... but as someone else mentioned it does get us to watch....   

mark61

The class rules are governed by HP not cc. Winner goes immedately on the dyno for testing. I think there was a 600 cc disqualified last year for too much HP after the race.

mark61

harborjohn

Quote from: mark61 on April 08, 2009, 05:30:15 PM
   The class rules are governed by HP not cc. Winner goes immedately on the dyno for testing. I think there was a 600 cc disqualified last year for too much HP after the race.

mark61
That means we can race our ultras against a 250cc bike and not get spanked to bad :)

mark61

Harborjohn----you might get your arse whooped royally by that 250 cc if you race em on a road course track!
Now if you are racing over the side of a cliff  for sure you will be the "winner" at the landing zone!
mark61