May 07, 2024, 04:13:33 PM

News:

How to pack for the road....

Started by Big Dan, April 07, 2009, 09:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dan

We're staying at the America's Best Value Inn, or something like that. Quite a few of us from the OFOPOS board are going. We'll get in on Friday, and leave on Sunday. I'm quite familiar with the delta. I grew up in and around Memphis and went to high school in Horn Lake. Stop on by for a visit. Just look for a bright orange bagger with OFOPOS across the back of it. That'll be me.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

08ultra03deuce

Plastic Zip Ties.  Take up no room and can fix cables ect......

TwistedSister

multi tool
duct tape
bailing  wire
Drinking doesn't cause hangovers... waking up  does...
TS
SW Arkisaw USN RET

wingie

Most important thing to pack   some extra space,    wingie

V24me

Condoms.  Even the Magnums don't take up much room, and they'll keep you from bringin home souvenirs    :hyst:

ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

dbugsymalone

the t-shirt idea i myself already do....another one that i do is with the socks....same idea...however long yer gone is how many pair to pak & toss...then when ya get home,ya break into a virgin pak & make yer feet way happy....new ones make it a year then repeat....another one to remember is yer long johns if'n yer plannin on playin in the mountains for any length of time...b.
Wanted:Rich widow who likes harleys.....apply within

texaskatfish

A pack of baby / wet wipes surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre comes in handy..........
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Phu Cat

Always hope I never need it, but before a trip, make sure the towing service is up to date.  Never actaully needed it on the road.  Now that I've said that, guess I can count on havin a problem on that trip at the end of the month to Denison, Tx.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Rags722

Bottom line, my list may be too extensive for some, and may not include everything others may feel are vital items.  However, it never hurts to have a check list made up so when you are 500 miles from home you don't find out you left something YOU view as critical at home.  I have a similar list for when we fly someplace for a vacation.  It omits items we may need on the bike but not on vacation, and includes stuff ( snorkel gear - etc) that we want if at a beach resort.

GaryD

I'm like Rags, I have a check list that I've made up from 30 years of traveling experience. With an Ultra, I carry everything. One thing I learned the hard way a couple years ago and have never seen mentioned before. If you have a flat tire repair kit -----REPLACE THE GLUE EVERY YEAR OR TWO. After many years of carrying a kit and never using it, the one time I did need it, the glue was all dried up.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

rambo54

I used to make lists and Reserve rooms and make schedules. It turned into more work than I did at work. Now me and the OL gather some clothes get what comes to mind and head out in a general direction. If we need it we get it on the road or do without. If we want to see something we stop, if we are tired we get a room. makes for a more relaxed trip. It's all in your mind.

PoorUB

We ride two up on my Ultra and can pack for 1-2 weeks on the bike no problem. 2 pair of jeans, 2 tee shirts, 3 undies and pair of socks. One long sleeved "T", and long johns. Wifey will pack a little extra. Travel size toiletries. His and hers rain gear. She gets on saddle bag, I get the other. Rain gear gets stuffed in each saddle bag. Trunk in common ground for extras jackets when it is too hot, tools, maps, and crap. We usually have extra room. My wife is a little picky about her looks, (medium maintenance!), she does not like the grungy biker look and keeps herself up well on limited space. She packs some make up, hair dryer, curling iron.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Phu Cat

katfish, Goin to denison to see a bunch of guys I was in the Nam with, can't wait!  Not sure what alls on the agenda but will sugest the stripper fishin @ Lake Texoma cuz a couple of guys are into fishin BIG time.  Actually can't tell ya what part of Denison I'm headed for yet as I haven't seen a map of the area.  Will keep an eye open around the north side for Robert's Dam and warn the people downstream about WHO WORKED ON IT!!!!!!!!

pc
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Kansas

April 08, 2009, 04:00:18 PM #38 Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:24:24 PM by Kansas
I suggest a $100.00 bill wrapped around a secondary credit card and a spare set of bike keys in a baggie and put someplace safe so that if you lose your wallet, or keys, etc you aren't totally screwed a long way from home.  A couple of years ago I lost my wallet in the Ozarks and didn't discover it until I went to gas up.  I was in total panic mode until about a half hour later with the gauge on empty while back tracking I discovered I had stuck the wallet in a different inside pocket of my jacket than I normally do.  I had been talking on the cell phone when I put it away.  None the less it taught me a valuable lesson.  Without it I had no ID, no money, no credit cards, and a lot of problems.  Another screw up on a trip to Wyoming was on the second night after a shower I decided a fresh pair of underwear were in order and discovered I had neglected to pack any.  Here I was in some little town in the foothills of the Tetons trying to find underwear at 7:30 PM!  Geez, that's what is great about motorcycling.  Stuff happens that you never forget.

GaryD

Kansas, I've done that once, twice if you count a camera. What I do now is use one of those wallets with the chain and loop -- like the REAL BIKERS wear.  :wink: That way I can't misplace my wallet and it can't fall out while I'm riding.
The extra keys and money with a credit card is also a good idea. I do the keys and money part and will start adding a credit card, Thanks for that tip.

Rambo, what do you do when you're completely worn out and you're ready to stop for the night and find out there's a cow patty throwing contest going on and all the rooms for 50 miles are booked solid? It doesn't take me more than 1/2 hour to book all my reservations. I think it's fun to sit down and plan a vacation not a pain in the ass. That way I know I will have someplace to rest up for the night. Yes I still will stop for something special that I come upon or take a detour if it looks promising. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to do it too often since my company will only let me take a week at a time vacation. So I have to plan 95% of my trips so I can see and do as much as I can. That's the reason I also have a GPS unit.
Someday - maybe soon - if the economy gets any worse and I don't have a job, I will be able to just take off and ride without any time limits or destination like a lot of HTT members on here say they do. :up:
I have 2 goals that I want to do before I kick the bucket, 1 realistic and 1 not very realistic. Ride to Alaska and go to Australia.
AMA Life Mbr.

Rags722

Gary, I know what you are saying, but like Kansas we like to do more of a gypsy vacation.  We have a general direction in mind, but don't know if we will make 200, 400 or 500 miles in any given day.  What we do is carry the CHOICE HOTELS atlas with us and make several reservations for the next night.  Then we just call and cancel the ones we don't need, but are sure of having at least one room for the night.  In fact, we may make several reservations in the same area, and when we get there check out each place before we check in depending on parking and ability to see/secure the bikes.

texaskatfish

Quote from: Phu Cat on April 08, 2009, 03:35:19 PM
katfish, Goin to denison to see a bunch of guys I was in the Nam with, can't wait!  Not sure what alls on the agenda but will sugest the stripper fishin @ Lake Texoma cuz a couple of guys are into fishin BIG time.  Actually can't tell ya what part of Denison I'm headed for yet as I haven't seen a map of the area.  Will keep an eye open around the north side for Robert's Dam and warn the people downstream about WHO WORKED ON IT!!!!!!!!

pc
PC hehehehehe - you're reading too fast there cuz - I said Denton TX not Denison. Denton is due north of the DFW metroplex where the split of I-35 is (west from the  Sherman / Denison area)
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

truck

What Rags said about the hotel directory is a good idea. I got stuck a couple of times not being able to find a room and having to push on for more miles and hours than I wanted, or in the rain to find a room.
Around 3 in the afternoon I'll pull out the map and the AAA Travel Guide, figure how many more hours/miles I want to ride, then break out the cell phone and make a reservation, no more stress at the end of the day.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

GaryD

Rags, you mentioned Choice Hotels. Do you belong to The American Motorcycle Association? If not you might want to look into it. Members get a 20% discount on all their hotels along with Red Roof, Motel 6 and Travelodge. That alone will save you the membership dues.  :up:

I have used that benifit a couple time, but usually I stay at Mom & Pop motels mainlly because they are a lot cheaper.
AMA Life Mbr.

Rags722

Quote from: GARYD on April 09, 2009, 07:15:48 AM
Rags, you mentioned Choice Hotels. Do you belong to The American Motorcycle Association? If not you might want to look into it. Members get a 20% discount on all their hotels along with Red Roof, Motel 6 and Travelodge. That alone will save you the membership dues.  :up:

I have used that benifit a couple time, but usually I stay at Mom & Pop motels mainlly because they are a lot cheaper.

Actually, what I do is call the 800 number for Choice and tell them the place I want to stay and ask for the 60+ discount (never been proofed - but I do qualify now). Mature travellers (50+) get a 10 % discount and if you are over 60 you ask for the 60+ discount and get 20% ~ 30% off depending on the location.  However there is a catch... you can not just walk into the lobby and get that discount, it MUST be made using the 800 number.  I call Choice about this time of year and ask them to send me their current property booklet and their Atlas which highlights every location in each state. For those that don't know, Choice Hotels includes all of the following :
Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Cambria, Clarion, MainStay, Surburban, Econolodge, & Rodeway.

Hope this helps.

Snuff™

Beware!   Last August, coming back from Sturgis I called ahead, verifying room availability and cancellation policy at the Best Western in Albert Lea, MN.  Made it to Cedar Rapids and called to cancel my reservation in Albert Lea.  That MF’in Camel Jockey Towel Head would not confirm my cancellation and got a $109 Visa bill the next month.  STAY AWAY from Best Western in Albert Lea, MN.!!!  That MF may get a visit from me this August! :angry:

-Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

hdjax2

I did'nt read every post but just in case nobody mentioned it, dont forget the sunblock and the gold bond powder. JAX AKA the fair skinned white boy :wink:
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

GaryD

I prefer Anti Monkey Butt powder myself. :teeth:
Us older guys need to put sunblock on top of our heads.    :hyst:
AMA Life Mbr.

geneo

Question for you ? what kind of (small Gas container) do you take with you cross country. That would fit inside side bag.   I want about a quart size (not a gallon) , which would be enough too the next gas station or it would help some one out.  I've looked at Aluminum water bottles with screw caps and some SS coffee thermos "also would mark as gas on the bottle".
The wife and I have  planned  a trip next month on a 2006 FLHTCUI from Idaho to Little rock mostly all side roads.  Any input on this?  Gene & Terri

GaryD

I bought one of those aluminum bottles w/screw cap from a camping goods store many years ago. It was for white gas for a Coleman stove so I would think it would be OK for regular gas also. It was about a quart size.
AMA Life Mbr.