April 30, 2024, 05:36:02 PM

News:

Rocker clutch adjustment

Started by easyricer, April 07, 2009, 09:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easyricer

OK so the maiden voyage was good but I broke my throw out finger. I'm thinking because of my own ignorance. I should have looked up some adjustment procedures on that thing before just twisting off.
SO can anyone help me out here?
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

easyricer

I guess no one knows how to adjust this thing? Well I got 2 more throw out fingers to brak so I'll post as I learn.
EASY

76shuvlinoff

would there be better luck on the Pan page?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

easyricer

chris haynes

Follow the directions in the service manual.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

kiwidave

just make sure that there is as little pressure as possible on the throwout bearing when the clutch is engaged. I have ridden rocker clutch / ''notorious late style'' water throwout for several years and yes I did break one (and THAT was the ''heavy duty'' model, HA) and just remembered a tip at the time to not have any pressure on it. Or as little as possible.

If you slip yer finger in the tranny filler cap hole and cannot turn the bearing washer/s by finger tip with the clutch in its normal engaged position, I would say that's bad adjustment and needs correcting by backing out the pushrod a bit at the clutch hub.

It's all a balancing act between pedal placement, clutch arm placement, and clutch pushrod, but you will master it. Just takes a bit of fiddling, and nope, there's no manual that really caters for this relationship between the three, is there?

easyricer

April 12, 2009, 06:42:00 AM #6 Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:45:21 AM by easyricer
LOL Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure that I have the pedal entirely too tight. I rode out last night to my buddies to pick up my other tranny cover with the other throw out finger in it so I can get it back up. Drives me nuts to see it just sit there.
I need to figure out the "Sweetspot" for this old gal. I checked the throw on the arm and it's moving 2 inches. There is no way that I can get a clutch arm to come out under the oil tank with out taking my crossover exhaust off. I've looked at it every way I can and it just ain't gonna happen. So the arm I got is what I'm stuck with. I've got to find another way.
EASY

76shuvlinoff

I can't pull up pics from here but I imagine you are using steel clutch release linkage. I don't know how good they are but aren't there cable set-ups?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

easyricer

Yeah 76 I had a cable set up for the rocker clutch kit but it was for a 5 speed tranny. I gave it to a buddy of mine with a suicide pedal and jockey shift lever for his heritage. Told him they were free if he had the balls to actually install it and ride it.
I did keep the cable adapter for the pedal though and that is what I got the rod hooked up to right now. I think I still have too much travel. I'll ride out later to shorten the adapter once I can get a measurement on how much travel the clutch arm has under a hand lever.
EASY