TTS and CLB setting with Grooved Heads

Started by Tre_11 FLHX, April 08, 2009, 12:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tre_11 FLHX

April 08, 2009, 12:13:03 AM Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:28:41 AM by Tre'_09UC
Just curious what others are setting the CLB at with Grooved heads. My current CLB is set at 645 (14.64) and the bike seems to be running Pig Rich.  I saw a post where Dave Brodie stated he sets the AFR to 15 with grooved heads in the cruise range (seems this would be on the lean side).

Still learning all the aspects of tuning using the TTS and as always any real world experience is appreciated!

Mike
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

Herko

Mike,
The grooved heads often like less fuel.
Though not common (you may be the first here) the CLB Tables will allow mV settings as low as in the 100 - 200mV range.
Do you have a portable AFR sniffer?
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Tre_11 FLHX

John- no sniffer. Bike is running strong, but Rich.  Can't find a tuner within a 200 miles that is TTS competent.  I will be heading to Kansas at the end of the month for work and am considering getting it tuned at Gales HD. 

Fuel mileage in one word, flat out sucks!  But again the bike is running strong and I ride like an idiot.  I might get 31 MPG out a tank. Thinking I will set the CLB lower and re-tune.  Just curious what others are doing.

Hope things are going well for you!

Mike
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

Steve Cole

We have never done any work with grooved heads so I have no firm answer but if you want set the CLB table to 450 mV and run a couple of Vtune's. Let us know what you find.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Tre_11 FLHX

Steve-I will give this a try. Its 80 degrees her today, I plan to do a tune on the way home.

Mike

Herko

"...Pig rich..."
Got soot? Got SSS? (sooted sensor syndrome)

Mike, may want to do a DM run in O2 Sensor Data Type.
Look for the pronounced saw tooth switching "toggling" of the sensors after light off. Help files cover this. Better to do this check with 450 set in the CLB's btw.
Sensors can get lazy and not show a code.
Or...just put in new sensors. New OE sensors relatively cheap insurance for how much we depend on them to help us calibrate.
But wouldn't hurt to eyeball the operation of the new sensors either. Easy enough to do.
JMHO.

Tre_11 FLHX

Yeah john, I have the soot syndrome, pretty heavy in the cans.  I did change the CLB to 449 (couldn't dial 450) did a data master on the way home form work. Took the long way home 26 miles.  Did a vtune loaded that and did another 17 mile run.  No where close to dialed in, but that will give me a good start for tomorrow.

Are you saying that it wouldn't hurt to replace the sensors? Remember I am a little slow  :wink: Not sure I am following you on the "may want to do a DM run in O2 Sensor Data Type" statement".  Little help.... I can normally keep up as long as you are using the big fat crayons.   :hyst:

Herko

Mike, yes, in a nutshell, replace the sensors.
But, wonder if your VE's are close enough to produce an AFR that sensors can help you with?

Attached shows pic of the Data Type used to view the switching characteristics of the sensors.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Tre_11 FLHX

John, Ok- now I understand.  I will attempt a run with the generic 02 data selected.  After the run, what is it that I am looking for?

Mike

Tre_11 FLHX

April 09, 2009, 02:06:16 AM #9 Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:16:44 AM by Tre'_09UC
John- Below is pic of my second vtune-I will continue some more datamaster runs today.  I did not have time to do more than the ride home and another short 15 min run. This was done at CLB set at 449.  I am wondering with the combination of the 54mm-zippers tall filter, grooved heads and my previous tune with clb in the upper 600's, how much effect this had on the "Fat" factor. 

Again- the bike was running strong-just filled up yesterday morning, went 120 miles and she took 4 gallons.  The way I do math, that fing sucks. Again I ride like an idiot, on a steady basis, but with my softail (i know a apples to oranges) I rode that bike the same way, 10.7:1 compression-CV40 and got a steady 42 MPG.

Herko

Tre_11 FLHX

4.35 or stock... i have yet to change. Do you think I need to?

Herko

Quote from: Tre'_09UC on April 09, 2009, 05:47:41 AM
4.35 or stock... i have yet to change. Do you think I need to?

No, those will be fine.
This might help...
Email me your latest map.
Phone me after that.
John

Tre_11 FLHX

Well after Mr. Herko and I had a discussion on Thursday, I was curious as to why my VEs in the Rpm 750 in all throttle percentages and 1percent through all rpm ranges were whacked.  In the 50s, John pointed this out to me. It appears the laptop I am using for, tuning is screwing the pooch, changed 02 sensors and got the same data in the above tables.  Tried another laptop, this one is working like it supposed to.  Did one datamaster run yesterday below are the VEs front and rear, also the Vtune data. Not sure  :wtf: is up with my other laptop, but I never would have caught what Herko pointed out to me.  Still considering getting it tuned by Robin at Gales HD in Kansas City, heading there for work in to weeks, weather permitting I will be on two wheels.

Don D

We have seen issues with the laptops. These data runs perform a lot of hard disk activity and I suspect part of the issue is the vibration causes problems. We encountered a lot of "lost communication errors" in our testing. We suspected there was a USB connection issue and the vibs were screwing up the connection. Going down that road didn't fix it. By moving the laptop out of the saddlebag, assuring it was flat and on the riders back not touching any part of the motorcycle (like a backrest) we began to get the first reliable runs. Just some food for thought.

Tre_11 FLHX

Well I just finished two 40 mile datmaster runs folled by vtunes.  Think I am getting somewhere pictured below. Don- not sure what the issue was other than on another laptop it appears to be working as designed.

Tre_11 FLHX

In the picture below I have outlined an area that is a concern.  Is the the define area normal?  Data master was run at an outside temperature of 45 degrees.  Seams this area is similiar to the issue I was having previously.

Steve Cole

What was the base calibration you started tuning with?
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Tre_11 FLHX

Herko

Mike,
What exhaust are you running? and...
What was your CLB settings during the above V-Tune?

Herko

"Seems this area is similar to the issue I was having previously."

Mike, what issue are you referring to?

Tre_11 FLHX

John- Below is a picture of the first v-tune on this Tune. As you can see it is significantly different from the other two in the areas I outlined. The exhaust is Jackpot slipons, I left the CLB as it was original. Dont believe this is the issue.  My first run looked ok, and the next two appeared to have issues with areas I outlined.  This tune was just to see if my PC was working correctly and by the last vtune, it appeared to me I was getting close to a good tune.  I have never had that much white and light pink. Still learning!   :teeth:

Mike

Herko