May 07, 2024, 08:23:04 PM

News:

DOT lids

Started by FatJohn, April 08, 2009, 01:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatJohn

Who has the smallest out there.
Being in NY I have noticed there are more check points over the years.
John

V24me

Hey John,
I think these guys make the smallest one I know of, and they are the only ones to be half Kevlar and half Carbon Fiber, so it's light weight too.

www.carbonfiberhelmets.com

Val
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

rabbit

I have had one of their DOT helmet for over two years now. Absolutely love it.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Dalton GA

f-x-d-w-g

:up: Ditto on the Carbon Fiber Helmet.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

Ironpig9

:up:
FatJohn,
Take a look at NexL helmets at www.NexLsports.com . These folks make very light, DOT, carbon fiber/kevlar helmets in a variety of styles. I've been wearing one of their beanies for several years and it's been a winner (i'm a weiner). Good luck finding the beanie of your choice and happy riding once you do!
Ironpig9
"The road goes on forever...."

FatJohn

I need to find a helmet that is small and won't catch the wind.
I have a neck injury from a fall off a scaffold and the wind kills me after a half hour.
Thanks for the input,
John

V24me

John,
go with the one they call the 'extended half' from the link above that I posted.  Won't catch the wind.  My neck looks like an satellite photo of the snake river (MRI scan) and they're so light and small, I forget I'm wearing a helmet.  Great customer service as well.  A++
Val

darrelbarrows

not to get off topic but i have a benie that i bought and took the tags that are sawn in a dot approved helmet and sewed them into the liner in my non dot helmet. I got pulled over by a cop having a bad day and he said my helmet was not legal even though it had the proper tags in it. We went to court and the judge threw the case out. The judge said in his eyes the helmet has the proper tags in it so there for it is legal and then he proceded to ream out the cop for wasting his time...Boy was that one pissed off cop

HroadhogD1

If you have a neck injury, get a windshield.  It will cut down almost all of the wind draft to your upper body.  Believe me it will help you.

FatJohn

you're right about the windshield I have a glider and no problem with that. But my fatboy is the
one that gives me the problem and it's slightly custom so wouldn't want a shield on that one.
john

HroadhogD1

April 09, 2009, 02:34:08 AM #10 Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:51:35 AM by HroadhogD1
  Its your neck.  Worried about the look, or your pain.      :potstir:

Superheat9

This may be a dumb question, but has anyone ever heard of a full face carbon fiber helmet?  I use one in cold weather but hate the weight.

MaxxV4

I just bought one of the extended half helmets from www.carbonfiberhelmets.com and it is pretty good. It is still taking some getting used to since I have been wearing my beanie for over 12 years now. On my bagger with a windshield it is fine but on a bike with no windshield.... Let's just say "The jury is still out." The straps cut right across the front of my ears, so the wind noise is much more noticeable and the wind also trys to lift the helmet. I really want to like this helmet since it is fairly small and I figure since I am required to wear one here in So Cal, it may as well be legal. I hope to find an adjustment so that I will not mind wearing it.
JMHO, Mike

V24me

Maxx,
I messed with moving the foam batwing shaped foam extras that are in there, and found a good fit.  Also, you can send it back to them and they can re-shape it (mine was made more oblong and less round to fit me) and they also have a satisfaction guarantee.  That's what sold me, if I wasn't happy, I could send it back - but I dialed it in and am happy now.
Val

MaxxV4

Val:
Thanks for reminding me about their satisfaction policy. I am still trying to find a good combo of the foam liners and strap adjustment. The one problem I had was the straps that come off the shell with the D rings below. They had a plastic clip type adjustor to keep the straps from slipping and that put the junction for the straps right on top of my ears, kind of like the U shaped straps from the shell needed to be longer. Anyway, I cut the plastic pieces off and when I get a good feel for the fit on my head, I will get my wife to stitch up the strap to hold it in place. Cutting those plastic pieces may have voided any warranty I had. We'll see. At least it allowed the straps to make it under my ears before coming together.
Mike

Wingnut

April 09, 2009, 05:33:35 PM #15 Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:43:51 AM by Wingnut
John, I just had a Carbon Fiber lid shipped to my home last Monday.  Fine helmet.  If I remember correctly you live on G.I.  E-mail me and I will show it to you.  I live just north of you.

Chuck
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

CraigArizona85248

This discussion reminded me that I've been meaning to contact ACC (http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com) and ask them to send me a new set of pads for my helmet.  After 2 1/2 years of riding in the Arizona heat mine are pretty skunky.  I fully expected to pay for the new liner pads and shipping.  Just checked my email and they are sending me a new set of liners for no charge!  Nice to see there are companies that still make an effort to keep people coming back.   :up:

-Craig

V24me

Craig, I was total shocked when they did that for me too.    :up:

Mike, I remember a discussion about them gladly changing plastic snap on novelty to a D ring if people wanted to send it back.  There was also talk about getting the straps to feel comfy around the ears.  I don't think you voided any warranty, but you sure could give them a call with your concerns.  They really do go the extra mile.  Guess they know if it fits, you'll be more likely to wear it.  Good luck.
Val

Wingnut

I had a couple of questions about my order that I received on Monday.  Gave Carbon Fiber a call.  Top notch customer service.  No "push 1 for English", "please hold", all my questions were answered quickly and professionally.  Even got a "Have a nice weekend"  "Happy Easter".  That's pretty rare nowadays.

Chuck
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

DarrellV

Quote from: FatJohn on April 08, 2009, 01:29:28 AM
Who has the smallest out there.
Being in NY I have noticed there are more check points over the years.
John

Do you guys get stopped and check for D.O.T. helmets often? Living in Ohio I don't wear one unless it's raining or cold. But when I ride into helmet states I've always wore my little beenie $20.00 it's not much so I know I would have trouble...if I was ever stopped.

FatJohn

I have never been stopped at a bike only check point. But I have been stopped at DUI checks and they never said a thing about my exhaust or lid.
I like to stay under the radar. And these days when the state and local government need revenues why give them mine.
john

HroadhogD1

In a few places here in Nebraska, they are getting bad about DOT helmets.  I used to wear my novelity helmet, but I am not going to take the chance anymore.  The last time I got stopped, I was told he could take the helmet, and tow my bike in.  I have heard stories about Omaha.  They give you 30 minutes to come up with a helmet, or they tow it.  I was just thinking they may try to get their stimulus money this year.  DOT for me.

DarrellV

Well, not wanting to screw this posting up here. But I'm glad Ohio is a "Helmet Free State". But if the laws where ever changed back to being a Helmet State...I wouldn't stop riding because of it. And trust me I understand about staying under radar and not giving them any extra money of mine.
I'd like to have one of them D.O.T. fiber helmets like in the links above, but they are a little expensive but they have to be a better helmet than the one I have {$20.00 I bought 15 years ago  :embarrassed:}. If I wore one everyday I wouldn't take a chance with the law and buy a nicer one. But only wearing one when I have to I'm curious about being "out of State" if allot of guys where getting stopped and checked and screwed over because of their lid.

fuzznut5197

Quote from: Ironpig9 on April 08, 2009, 04:34:03 AM
:up:
FatJohn,
Take a look at NexL helmets at www.NexLsports.com . These folks make very light, DOT, carbon fiber/kevlar helmets in a variety of styles. I've been wearing one of their beanies for several years and it's been a winner (i'm a weiner). Good luck finding the beanie of your choice and happy riding once you do!
Ironpig9

Something is wrong with their website, their security certificate is messed up and you can't order anything.

This was on another forum, looks like novelty but is dot:

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Helmets/Vega-Half-Helmets-XTS-Naked/VegaXTSNakedBlack#