April 28, 2024, 01:14:51 AM

News:

Going to look at a 77 sportster

Started by Cossack, February 21, 2016, 07:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cossack

February 21, 2016, 07:16:11 PM Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:42:53 PM by Cossack
Going to look at a 77 sportster. Guy says one of the cylinders has a bad oil ring. Motor will run for 10 minutes and then quits fills up with oil. Makes no sense. So I'm thinking top end will have to be redone, that's fine. He is asking 1500 for it.
My plan is to build a rigid bobber using this bike as a doner. 
What all do I look at when checking out this thing. This will be my first iron head.

Burnout

Oil lines may just be connected wrong. Or the worst is crank or something coming apart and has ruined the oil pump.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Panzer

I'd check the oil level first thing and see if it's over filled.
Maybe as simple as that.
Keep us posted on what you find.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

harley_cruiser

February 22, 2016, 03:07:57 PM #3 Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:10:30 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

I would run a compression test. Yea what Panzer and burnout said bad oil pump.

Cossack

Ok guys I'll let you know how it goes

Racepres

Simple...ask the seller if he checks the oil regularly...Betting he is putting oil in a Cold Engine...

ihrescue

Could possibly be something blocking the oil ports in the cylinders and heads since its all gravity fed once the oil is pumped to the top. Could have been a poor gasket placing covering up an oil route or debris. Seems you should also see oil movement in the oil tank as the oil is circulating. If not that could be another indicator. If present there may be an oil filter that is part of the oil tank in the 77 again another place to look for evidence of debris.

JW113

Well.... Cossack? You said you'd let us know.....

:pop:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber