May 07, 2024, 08:50:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ANYONE USING AMSOIL ATF

Started by ULTRADOG, April 08, 2009, 06:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ULTRADOG

April 08, 2009, 06:15:25 AM Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:26:50 AM by ULTRADOG
i have a amsoil rep trying to get me to put there atf in my  primary any one using this and any concerns i use there oil and gear lube just never used atf in my primary (and i know the original earl WILL SHOW)  :pop: :hyst: :duel:
                                   t.i.a. just dont need to screw things up in the begining of spring
                                                                                         bill
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

Phu Cat

Not sure about using oil that light in the primary, altho ya might think what's good for gears should also be good for chains too.  Suspect the oils biggest job in the primary is just to carry heat away and lube the chain.  Almost any oil can do that.  Heck, I've run 30 wt engine oil in my primary with no problem.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

ULTRADOG

PHUCAT
he was all over the fact that the clutch material is the same they use in automatic transmissions and for once he was actually starting to make sense so i thought maybe i was starting to hear things

truck

There are a lot of people here using Type F ATF in their primaries.
This was discussed here a while back.
Amsoil or brand x is your choice.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

02roadcling

02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

noliners

I am running Mobil 1 ATF it was recommended by Rivera for my Pro-Clutch.  Works great, no slipping with 150lbs. of Torque.
131 Roadking "No Replacement for Displacement"

IBARider

ATF is OK in primary.   But, Amsoil already has friction modifyers in their motorcycle engine oil so you can use it in primary/ clutch.  I use 10-40 or 10-30 or something like that.  Does their ATF cost more than engine oil?
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

02roadcling

02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

ULTRADOG

April 08, 2009, 08:05:04 AM #8 Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:15:10 AM by ULTRADOG
i didnt check the Price but i work for ford so type f is right in my shop the amsoil rep talks to me because he rides too im going to try it and see if it helps with the god awful bang going into first. i will report on this after a few miles i just wasnt sure about atf but after thinking about it harleys prim fluid isnt thick oil

Sonny S.

Quote from: IBARider on April 08, 2009, 07:56:52 AM
ATF is OK in primary.   But, Amsoil already has friction modifyers in their motorcycle engine oil so you can use it in primary/ clutch.  I use 10-40 or 10-30 or something like that.  Does their ATF cost more than engine oil?

just the opposite... NO friction modifiers in any Amsoil product that is JASO MA certified.
The only Amsoil ATF that is a type " F " replacement is the Super Shift and IMHO is not needed in the primary. I sell Amsoil and I wouldn't put it in there.....over kill. If you don't mind dropping the coin go for it.

PosseRider

Try Amsoil "Super Shift" for the primary. No more drag. I have been using in mine now for over 30,000 miles.
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

ULTRADOG

sonny            what the rep gave me is universal synthetic atf should i give it back or is that what youre talking about  and he just handed me 2 qts and didnt charge me he said try it if ya like it start using it in all the bikes i ride with

boooby1744

Dexron type atf has a smoother engagement than type f.I use amsoil universal synthetic atf.

Sonny S.

Quote from: PosseRider on April 08, 2009, 08:14:23 AM
Try Amsoil "Super Shift" for the primary. No more drag. I have been using in mine now for over 30,000 miles.
Quote from: boooby1744 on April 08, 2009, 08:18:46 AM
Dexron type atf has a smoother engagement than type f.I use amsoil universal synthetic atf.

UltraDog..... I can't add anything, as I have not used Amsoil ATF in my primary..... yet.
Type " F " replacement such as Super Shift does grab harder typically. Probably over kill for a light vehicle ( bike ) not producing the torque of a car/truck.
Try the Universal....and let me know what you think  :wink:

Wingnut

Members on this site have been talking about using type f  atf in their primaries for awhile.  So I tried it, can't hurt anything. Made my clutch operation "grabby" (not smooth) I didn't like it. Changed it out after a month.  I once had a qt. of 10w30 Castrol simi-synthetic in the garage so I put it the primary.  Best stuff I ever used in there.  Smooth clutch engagement, no slip, easy finding neutral.  Use it all the time now.  ATF is for automatic transmissions, leave it there.  I have used it for hydraulic oil in a pinch, that's about it.  
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

ULTRADOG

IBARider

Quote from: Sonny S. on April 08, 2009, 08:07:15 AM
Quote from: IBARider on April 08, 2009, 07:56:52 AM

just the opposite... NO friction modifiers in any Amsoil product that is JASO MA certified.
The only Amsoil ATF that is a type " F " replacement is the Super Shift and IMHO is not needed in the primary. I sell Amsoil and I wouldn't put it in there.....over kill. If you don't mind dropping the coin go for it.

Sorry,  I'm backwards often.  or is that often backwards?  'NO' modifyers.  Don't know why I mentioned that cuz I don't even know what it means..
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

1711tab

Quote from: ULTRADOG on April 08, 2009, 06:15:25 AM
i have a amsoil rep trying to get me to put there atf in my  primary any one using this and any concerns i use there oil and gear lube just never used atf in my primary (and i know the original earl WILL SHOW)  :pop: :hyst: :duel:
                                   t.i.a. just dont need to screw things up in the beginning of spring
                                                                                         bill

Before I installed my belt drive primary I used the Amsoil Super Shift and it worked fine without any slipage...
"KOC" - HYPERFORMANCE & R&R CYCLES R&D TC 131"

INNOVATORS NOT IMITATORS

GLFLSTCI02

I use ATF in the primary. I did use Amsoil ATF one time, my bike has a VPC and two up I could feel it slip with the Amsoil syn in there. Very smooth engagement though. It came out as clean as when it went in also, I didn't care for that. I use Type F 3 buck crappy tire stuff now, works a charm.

Gene
"Gee Ward, you were a little hard on the Beaver last night" June Cleaver

f-x-d-w-g

I've always used whatever type of ATF is on the shelf.  Never noticed a difference in performance between the types.  Works just fine.

On the up side, when my shifter shaft seal started to leak it was easy to determine that it wasn't the primary leaking since the oil was red.
Dan
Tijeras, NM