April 30, 2024, 05:20:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Plug and play ?

Started by aabikrman, February 24, 2016, 03:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aabikrman

I have a 2000 FLHT with the original Harley head unit and a buddy has offered the HK head unit out of his 09 Ultra with the CB.  I know the HK's non CB head units are plug and play but what about the HK's out of an Ultra ?  I don't care about having the CB or intercom (or whatever else they have), but the newer head unit with cd player would be nicer than my old stock one with the cassette player. 

It it's just relocating a few pins in the wiring harness, that wouldn't be a problem either as long as I know which ones and where too.....

Thanks in advance for any help..

UltraNutZ

February 24, 2016, 03:33:53 PM #1 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:37:21 PM by UltraNutZ
CB and intercom are not interchangeble but the radio will plug right in for you and work fine.

The other thing is automatic volume control (AVC).  On the new radio it's a digital input, on the old it's analog and it will work but you'll need to send to Iron Cross Audio to have them modify it for the analog signal input.  If you're not worried about AVC, then plug it in and ride. 

*EDIT*
Another thing is the speakers.  The older unit you have is setup to run 8 ohm speakers at top efficiency whereas the newer unit is setup to run speakers that are 2 ohm at top efficiency.  If you do the swap, it will work perfectly fine with your old speakers but you will benefit tremendously by changing the speakers out even if for stock speakers out of the 09
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

aabikrman

Wow, that was fast....! 

Thanks UltraNutZ