May 07, 2024, 07:27:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Elite III Rear Tire Clearance?

Started by Txhazmat, April 08, 2009, 06:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txhazmat

Hello all,
I have an 03 flhtc. After reading several posts about the Elite III's I thought I would give them a try. I went with the MU90B16 for the rear after seeing other with the same year running that tire. After I got is installed I noticed the side wall was rubbing against the belt guard. There is right at 1/4" between the belt and the sidewalls. I took the belt guard off and the tire spins freely in both directions. Do I need the belt guard? and Do I have enough space between the belt and sidewall?

Thanks

hdbikedoc

yes that is plenty of clearance. I would modify the belt guard so it doesn't touch and put it back on it helps keeping stones and stuff from getting in to belt
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

Txhazmat

Quote from: hdbikedoc on April 08, 2009, 07:07:54 PM
yes that is plenty of clearance. I would modify the belt guard so it doesn't touch and put it back on it helps keeping stones and stuff from getting in to belt

Thanks for the info Doc.  On the inside of the belt guard there is a flexible rubber piece that is riveted on and hangs down to cover the belt on the inside.  It is held on with a metal strip.  If I take that off the inside skirt will be taken off too.  Think that would be ok?

Sonny S.

Notch the rubber shield on the inside

2003flht

I run one on my 03 FLHT Standard.  The rubber piece on my beltguard rubs too.  I never removed it, altered it, or trimmed it.  It does have a nice shiney spot where it has been rubbing for the past three years (and 3 tires) though!  But I never had any problems running the 140 MU tire
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

Txhazmat

Quote from: 2003flht on April 09, 2009, 06:47:20 AM
I run one on my 03 FLHT Standard.  The rubber piece on my beltguard rubs too.  I never removed it, altered it, or trimmed it.  It does have a nice shiney spot where it has been rubbing for the past three years (and 3 tires) though!  But I never had any problems running the 140 MU tire

Sounds like I will be ok then.  Mine is rubbing on the metal strip that holds the inside skirt.  Just didn't know if it would damage the sidewall.  Thanks for the info.

02roadcling

Take it off, lightens up the rearend considerably. Thats what I did. Burnouts through all 5 gears now, tire still smoking at 115 mph down the Interstate.  :smiled:

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington