April 30, 2024, 06:30:57 PM

News:

Inverted Front End.

Started by jethro1200, April 08, 2009, 06:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jethro1200

Does anyone have experience with altering a jap inverted front end for an FXE? Mine is a 76.

easyricer

Depends completely on the front end you got. If it's off of a Suzuki Marauder thn you can find barings to adapt it just take measurements and go by your local bearing house. Otherwise you'll have to cut the weld on the stem bolt and replace it with a 1 inch stem bolt. Any decent fab shop can do it.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Dave*M

Look for a suzuki gsxr 1000 front end.That is what I have on my 1990 FLHS.
It only took a few mods to make it work.By far its the best handling front end I have ever had on a bike.

jethro1200

Are you two running the brakes that came on the front ends or did you put something else on? I wanted to run a Brembo from an Indian but I ran into clearance problems on my stock front end. Part of the reason for the change will be the brakes and part for the handling. Any more ideas?

baldoldfxr

Jethro lots of people here in England used to put gsxr front ends in fxr's usualy with the jap front wheel, another possible option is a buell front end I have cyclone forks & yokes in mine the stem is the same as the standard older HD models so bearings etc are no problem, buell brake calipers are very good & the forks work well , I had to extend the damper rods since the forks are short & since they are wider than the originals its easier to fit the brakes of your choice. I guess the earlier buell inverted forks also have the same stem size but can't say for sure.

jethro1200

Thanks baldoldfxr, does the year of the GSXR matter?  Thanks Dave*M.
Easyricer, how was the length? What size front wheel did you use.

easyricer

The Marauder front end is gonna be about the right length for a FXWG If I remember right its a 32 inch front end. If you are looking for shorter the gsxr front end is shorter by a few inches. The front wheel on the Marauder is a 16 and the front wheel for the GXSR is 17. Given the option between the two I'd take the GSXR front end for the better brakes.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Tow-Truck

I used a front end off a Honda VX1800 for a project, as most of the GSXRs etc. tend to be too short (their frames have very little rake).

jethro1200

I have found a GSXR 600 at a good price. Does anybody think it will work? How about if I can find longer tubes?

baldoldfxr

April 10, 2009, 12:27:02 PM #9 Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:31:16 PM by baldoldfxr
That is probably a fairly short front end , I guess it depends how you have your bike set up, Is forking by Frank still operating ? as they used to be very good & if neccesary would make longer stanchions for pretty much anything , USD forks can be a pain to strip down so perhaps have a look at a manual for the donor bike before starting anything.
you also have to consider the spring rate in the donor forks & some late jap forks use big (25mm) front spindles.