May 02, 2024, 03:10:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fork Question

Started by BanditLoon2003, November 09, 2008, 07:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanditLoon2003

I have a 2003 FLHT and would like to order the later model forks without the cartridge, My computer crashed last week and I had all the info  and p/n's to order from Jenni. If someone has the year and p/n info I would really appreciate it. Thanks Bandit

road-dawgs1

You looking for the pn# for the complete assy for the left and right forks for the 06+ models, or you looking for the parts to convert your insides?
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Mike52

The '06 complete fork part numbers,
complete fork assembly, left-#46495-06
complete fork assembly, right-#46502-06

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

maineultraclassic

P/N: 45803-97 STOP, oil lock
P/N: 45838-77 BOLT, front fork
P/N: 45845-77 O-RING
P/N: 45859-77A RING, piston damper tube
P/N: 45890-97 TUBE ASSEMBLY
P/N: 45891-97 DAMPER tube assembly
P/N: 45892-02 SPRING, fork
P/N: 45933-86 SPRING, rebound

The sliders for 99 - 06 are all the same whether cartridge or non-cartridge.

In addition, you'll need two new seals, P/N 45875-84A and two containers of fork oil.

You'll have one part, (P/N 45838-77) that you could have used from the old parts instead of buying new, but I have it listed here so that when finished, your converted fork will match the parts catalogs. After I finished, I discovered that I didn't really have to purchase this $22.50 part, the old one is different but it would have worked just fine.

The conversion is really very easy. It only took me 3 hours, start to finish. I could do it in a couple of hours now.
To set the new seal, I used some 1-1/2" PVC pipe, slit so that it would slide over the fork tube and push the seal into place.
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

BanditLoon2003

THANKS!  I needed the p/n&year, I'm replacing the complete forks. I'm really glad this site lives on after MSN the wealth of knowledge here is great. Will be giving Jenni a call today. Thanks Bandit

flht99b

So, the right side fork assembly remains as it is, just change fluid and seals ??
The parts below are needed to covert the left side/cartridge side ??
P/N: 45803-97 STOP, oil lock
P/N: 45838-77 BOLT, front fork
P/N: 45845-77 O-RING
P/N: 45859-77A RING, piston damper tube
P/N: 45890-97 TUBE ASSEMBLY
P/N: 45891-97 DAMPER tube assembly
P/N: 45892-02 SPRING, fork
P/N: 45933-86 SPRING, rebound

In addition, you'll need two new seals, P/N 45875-84A and two containers of fork oil.

To retain a good ride and decent handling, what fork oil weight or oil do you recommend ?? Any special tools required to make the chang ??
TIA....Ed

HarleyInNH

Hey all,

Don't wanna hijack this thread, but my question IS within topic, so Thanks in advance! :beer:

I have an '03 that has been lowered 1 inch both front and rear.

I did not do the install of the existing front lowering kit (as I had no special tools at the time) and had the stealership assemble it for me.(I know, I know, $$$  :cry:)

As there will be no cartridge in the newer install, I am confident that I can do it myself (after reading how others have done similar things).

If I wished to eliminate the cartridge in the left fork and "update" to the "newer" front suspension, would it require a new lowering kit, or can I use the existing components?

Thanks all!

My pride is cheap, my Harley is not.

waskier01

FLHT99B's parts list is for the Pre '06 legs.  I don't know the exact #'s, but the spring and damper rod are different and you'd need a cartridge emulator.  For roughly the same $'s, somebody has the -06 #'s. 

Mike52

I have the '06 internals left over from when I installed a 1" lowering kit on my Street Glide. These springs and damper tubes have less than 900 miles on them if anyone is interested. You would only need to get the new for '06 damper valves. I can get the '06 parts numbers this evening (no parts manual at work).

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

flht99b

I might be interested.  I'd need to know exactly what else I'd need to convert my '03 FLHTCUI forks to the non cartridge style.  Email is in my profile.  TIA Ed M.

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Mike52 on November 10, 2008, 12:19:19 PM
I have the '06 internals left over from when I installed a 1" lowering kit on my Street Glide. These springs and damper tubes have less than 900 miles on them if anyone is interested. You would only need to get the new for '06 damper valves. I can get the '06 parts numbers this evening (no parts manual at work).

Mike

46209-06           BLOW VALVE (2) one for each side
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

JDhog211

November 15, 2008, 02:15:13 PM #11 Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 08:41:53 PM by JDhog211
        Does anyone know why or the reasoning behind HD having one Fork with a cartridge on one side, and the other side without?
        HD Engineers at work again I suppose, but does anyone really know the answer.  Which is better?, both for the maintenance end and the performance aspect.  Why do you suppose HD had it set up like that to begin with?

Thanks
JDHog211
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

BanditLoon2003

Thanks Everyone   :beer:  I decided to go with the parts and do it myself and save a few $$$ Thanks Again Bandit

JDhog211

Does anyone know why or the reasoning behind HD having one Fork with a cartridge on one side, and the other side without?
        HD Engineers at work again I suppose, but does anyone really know the answer.  Which is better?, both for the maintenance end and the performance aspect.  Why do you suppose HD had it set up like that to begin with?

Thanks
JDHog211
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

Mike52

Quote from: BanditLoon2003 on November 15, 2008, 07:09:16 PM
Thanks Everyone   :beer:  I decided to go with the parts and do it myself and save a few $$$ Thanks Again Bandit

I hope you didn't use all the part numbers listed in Reply #5, those are old part numbers, not the good '06 internals.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Mike52

JDHog, did you get the parts you ordered yet? Just curious what you ended up with.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Deye76

Quote from: Mike52 on November 15, 2008, 09:52:43 PM
Quote from: BanditLoon2003 on November 15, 2008, 07:09:16 PM

I hope you didn't use all the part numbers listed in Reply #5, those are old part numbers, not the good '06 internals.

Mike

Good call Mike. He wouldn't be happy with the ride he'd get from those parts.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP