May 10, 2024, 06:37:04 AM

News:

Bluetooth Garmin

Started by tdgriff, March 12, 2016, 04:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdgriff

So I have a Garmin GPS, My HU is a Kenwood 798 if I hook it up for GPS will I still hear my music? Or will it just stay with my GPS ?

UltraNutZ

griff, it won't work bud.  Been tried many a times.  Actually if memory serves me correctly, you won't be able to pair your turn by turn directions at all as bluetooth streaming to your head unit.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

tdgriff

Thanks my friend that's what I was thinking . Would a phone work better?

masstch

Which Garmin do you have? They don't all have BT outputs, it varies by model.
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

UltraNutZ

TBT directions will not be transmitted via BT natively by Garmin products as they use a different technology than standard Media and Phone BT does.  This however will do the trick for you tdgriff

Best person to talk to about BT is Coyote (owner of this site).  He's got a lot of experience with BT technology.

Pete_Vit

not sure if this helps answer, I can listen to my music on my phone, when using GPS turn by turn, the music is muted as the turn by turn directions are announced, then music is restored.
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Pete_Vit on March 23, 2016, 08:29:47 AM
not sure if this helps answer, I can listen to my music on my phone, when using GPS turn by turn, the music is muted as the turn by turn directions are announced, then music is restored.

are you referring to the GPS on the phone itself or an external GPS?

masstch

March 23, 2016, 08:34:09 AM #7 Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:38:13 AM by masstch
Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 23, 2016, 08:21:48 AM
TBT directions will not be transmitted via BT natively by Garmin products as they use a different technology than standard Media and Phone BT does.

WhaaaaaaaaT?   Yes, particular models of Garmins such as the Zumo series do in fact offer BT TBT and and that's the primary difference between Zumo and Nuvi (car) units.That's why I asked which model he had.
The Zumos also will let you BT your phone to the Garmin and then will relay your phone conversation to your BT headset, maintaining priority as TBT/ Phone/music.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 23, 2016, 08:31:18 AM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on March 23, 2016, 08:29:47 AM

are you referring to the GPS on the phone itself or an external GPS?
yep GPS on my phone - I know different setup but it works well for me.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: masstch on March 23, 2016, 08:34:09 AM
Quote from: UltraNutZ on March 23, 2016, 08:21:48 AM
TBT directions will not be transmitted via BT natively by Garmin products as they use a different technology than standard Media and Phone BT does.

WhaaaaaaaaT?   Yes, particular models of Garmins such as the Zumo series do in fact offer BT TBT and and that's the primary difference between Zumo and Nuvi (car) units.

let me clarify please.. as I was doing three things at once.

TBT will transmit fine, my apologies, but will not transmit over another source such as FM radio, CD, MP3, etc. like autos do with their built in GPS units and phones as Pete above pointed out.  You must have your BT paired as it's own source in order to hear TBT directions but unless you're also streaming music via BT from your GPS then it will not override another source of music which addresses the ops question.

Pete_Vit

That's good to know, I was gonna move to a standalone system eventually  thanks Ultra

masstch

Well, there are more answers than one and various ways to connect BT depending on protocols supported and most importantly, by the headset's ability to both support and prioritize the inputs.
I've been using (for years) a 'car' GPS (Nuvi 1390) which has no BT *out* along with a Sena BT transmitter and a Sena SMH10 to listen to the HD radio (XM/AM/FM/etc), NUVI TBT, and my iPhone all working seamlessly together.
The key is the headset. It connects the iPhone HFP, The radio from the SM10 transmitter with A2DP, priority=HFP.
The SM10 transmitter has two analog inputs which it prioritizes internally =GPS over radio.

There are different ways to do these things, its primarily up to figuring out which hardware will support what.

UltraNutZ

I don't think anyone was referring to a headset.  The OP asked if he was listening to music from his headunit on the bike and by pairing the GPS unit to the headunit would it over-ride his audio on the headunit to give TBT directions the switch back to music.  The answer is no. 

However if the GPS unit itself is capable of playing MP3s or Satellite radio like the Zumo 665, it will override audio being streamed from the GPS unit to the headunit to give directions then switch back to that GPS Audio source.

tdgriff

Thanks for all the info guys . I forgot I had this thread going .