April 30, 2024, 04:26:53 PM

News:

battery dimensions size

Started by BKACHE, April 09, 2009, 07:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKACHE

What is the size of the battery for a '78 FXS? 
Dan

MMOCGuy

Bkache

Yuasa YB16-B (Or equivelant)

6 13/16" Long
4" Wide
6 1/8" High

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Norm.

BKACHE

Thanx - that's what I need.
Guess what I am buying.
Dan

MMOCGuy

Uhhhhhh. A case of beer??? :crook:

I don't know what you are going to get but, I have an Interstate battery which has been great. I've had my FX apart for about 3.5 years now but the battery was brand new in 2000. I kept a battery tender on it when It was together. When I took the bike apart, I set the battery down and kept a battery tender on it. It is still in great shape. I hope to have the bike back on the road this summer and the same Interstate will go back in it.

Norm.

BKACHE

Hope your FX does well with the interstate.
So have you heard anything about ODYSSEY batteries?
Glass mat with a 2 year warranty I will give it a shot. 

Seems like I go thru a battery every year on the shovel. 5 years for the one in the EVO though.
Dan

blackbeard 60

i can't keep a battery in my 80 wide glide .i replace it every year .it has the horseshoe oil tank and it gets dam hot in that thing and it takes a good betten to . :smiled:

MMOCGuy

Bkache.

I've heard a lot of good things about Odyssey but have never used one. A guy in my car club put one in his '35 Ford Hot Rod and had problems with it but Odyssey replaced it with no problem. I think it had something to do with overcharging when he first got the car finished and was trying to get it tuned and the bugs worked out.

I don't use Odyssey in my bike or my cars because of the expense and the fact that I have had really good luck with good quality conventional batteries. As I said, I keep a battery tender on them and I service them regularly. Actually, with a battery tender on them, they don't loose any charge when sitting so it doesn't take much to replace the energy lost for starting. This keeps them from boiling out water. On my Interstate bike battery, I only had to add water one time and that was way back in 2002.

As Blackbeard suggests, one big issue with batteries is heat so I make sure that my motorcycle batteries are mounted so that air flows over the cover.

You might want to check out Harbor Freight for a battey tender. They have one they call a "Float Charger". It sells elsewhere for anywhere from $16 to $30. When on sale, Harbor Freight has them for $5. When them have them on sale, I usually buy a couple and keep them on the shelf. That way, when one of mine breaks, gets damaged or I have a car club friend that needs one, I have one available.

Hope this helps.

Norm.