April 27, 2024, 08:08:21 AM

News:

S & S Steel Push Rods

Started by fourthgear, March 16, 2016, 04:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fourthgear

I have to say that all these years I always thought that reducing the weight of Valve Train Components was a good thing , well maybe for Race Motor's is my thinking now & I am probably wrong in that thinking also.
   After some issues with the Aluminum Push Rods having the hardened tip being pushed into the Tubing of the Push Rod ( solid lifters ) I ordered a set of S&S Steel Non -Adjustable Push Rods for a 48 Motor which has Jim's Big Axle one piece Solid Lifters with adj.. After installing them yesterday ( By S&S instructions ,which I really didn't need to read , but did any way) I will never Put a Aluminum Push Rod in a Panhead  or a Shovelhead  again. Its been a long time since I had a OEM PR. in my hands .
  They are a great deal heavier then any Aluminum PR. , but the Motor didn't care one bit , she ran , I think , much smoother , if thats even possible or just perceived . Started the same & with no noise .
  The PR's I took out had about 10K on them & maybe the end of their service life , but I don't see that happening with the S&S .

And a Thanks to CaliforniaPhil for a good deal , as always .