April 28, 2024, 02:59:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

It's sumping

Started by 04customking, April 09, 2009, 11:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pzokes

April 30, 2009, 11:14:02 PM #50 Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:37:55 AM by Pzokes
I stand corrected, yes oil is lighter than water. That was a real brain fart on my part.  Thanks for letting us know the weight of 30 weight.

I think that elevation also adds to pressure.  We could say that we have aproximately 1 ft elevation between the bottom of the oil tank and the top of the oil pump.  So would we have somewhere around 1/4 of 6.8lbs at 1 ft elevation?  That would be one quart of oil (1.7 lbs) at 1 ft elevation (whatever the elevation adds to it).  We are already over the 1.5 lbs of the backflow spring pressure  before we factor elevation in.  The only formula that I can find for pressure for elevation is what the plumbers use to test their drain systems.  They use a 4" pipe, 10 ft high to get 5 psi.  The formula they use is (height in feet)X(diameter squared in inches)X(.7854).

I know that the one quart figure I used is a random figure and less that actual tank capacity.  Does the Paughco oil tank, with integral filter, have a higher capacity than the original oil tank which might cause more pressure, exceeding the original cast iron oil pump design?   

Maybe there's something else that I'm not seeing. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.

chris haynes

What he is not seeing, or believing not to see is that the problem is in his oil pump and nowhere else. :sink:
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

CraigArizona85248

I can't think of any other cause either at this point.  Maybe a cracked pump body or seat.

Jim, you mentioned that you tested with water.  How did you do that?  If you poured water down into the cavity on top of the check ball, I don't think that's a valid test.  Your oil is coming from the other side of the check ball and is pushing up against the ball and spring.

-Craig

Pzokes

I agree that the problem is in the oil pump.  I do think that it is on the pressure side.

I hadn't considered a cracked pump body.

I would not dare to use either of two heavier bypass springs that are designed for the later aluminum pumps that have larger gears.

04customking

Craig, I did mention testing with water. All I was attempting to see was if the ball and seat would let water pass by. Very half assed "test". I did just have the water on the wrong side but figured a bad ball and seat would leak either way. I didn't see any cracks of any kind and I think it would be pretty effident if all that 60 weight oil leaked past it. I will pull it apart here again soon but I can't imagine what I'm going to find that I didn't find before.
Chris, I agree with you but can't see the problem.
Pzokes, I wouldn't just put an aluminum pump spring in there. The spring looks like the correct spring. By that I mean it's not just some cut spring that someone had laying around. I'll take pictures this time, whenever that is. Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

fourthgear

There is one other thing that could leak through to the case compartment , the shaft bushing in the case for the pump drive gear shaft and or shaft its self. Long shot but worth looking into . If you think the check valve spring is weak , you can shim it with washers in the cap to load it up a little.( just watch & keep track of them there washers )

04customking

Ok, I pulled it apart. I still don't see anything but it must be the seats. I'm going to take it to work tomorrow and try to machine the seats in. I've heard youy don't want to do that but the burnisher didn't do anything so at this point I'm going to try it. A careful set-up and a good sharp cutter and it ought to do it just fine. I always kind of wondered why most were against machining it. Anyways, here's some pics of what I have. In one pic there appears to be a crack but it's not, just a mark.

04customking

MBSKEAM

May 04, 2009, 04:31:11 PM #58 Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:34:04 PM by MBSKEAM
interesting.....
lighter springs and diffrent end plugs

I see a hole that yours does not have, in the small groove about 1/2 way up

here is mine never had a sumping problem....

unless you count the time my fuel tank, 1 plus gallons went into my bottom end....LOL

mbskeam

thats not your wifes new white towell is it?......LOL

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

04customking

Yea, mine doesn't have the smal hole like yours. Not sure what it would do. I have to go to my dealer tomorrow for new gaskets and I'm going to get new springs just so I know what I have. They are exceptional for having the old stuff. They've always had whatever I needed in stock. How many of you can say that about your dealers? The girl behind the counter is the owners daughter, about 30 I'd say, and she can rattle off the numbers without even looking. I think she learned to read from the parts catalogs. Very sharp and a cutie too. I feel pretty confident that I can get real nice seats in this pump and with new springs I actually feel good about ending this problem. Should have done this the first time. Oh yea, there is no wife so the towels are all mine. The first two wives didn't like it though. I don't understand it.

MBSKEAM

there is no wife

I'm green with envyLOL

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

Little Al

Well Jim, I'm glad to see you're final back at her after that extended "time out".

and I hear ya on the wives, towels and such. I never could understand their reluctance either. The new girlfriend don't mind at all, but I think it's a ploy. I don't know what she has in mind, but i figure that as long as I don't marry her my kitchen will safely stay my shop. lol
Little Al

04customking

Ok, we're trying it again. I cut new seats into the pump. Lots of porosity in that cast iron but I think I got it good. Had to drop them about .020". Got a new spring for the check valve from the dealer. The new one is the same weak type spring but is about 5/16" longer than the one I had. Cleaned everything up and started it. Warmed it up good and shut it off. Now we'll wait and see.

Pzokes

Here's a good article on lapping a later aluminum pump checkball seat using a Evo pushrod for the lapping tool.  Sometimes even the later pumps aren't perfect.

http://bigboyzheadporting.com/showthread.php?t=87