May 02, 2024, 05:10:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Inner Primary Issue....

Started by JamLazyAss, March 20, 2016, 08:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

I'm trying to put my (tin) inner primary on the pan.
It appears to be binding up on what I call the oil slinger that's against the tranny sprocket.
You guys have any idea what might be going on here?
This should be a no brainer, but.

Also, doesn't the primary mount to the outside of the oil tank bracket?
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

CraigArizona85248

I didn't think the panhead ever had a slinger on the drive sprocket. Your tin primary probably won't work with one.

Yes, primary mounts outside of oil tank bracket.

-craig

JamLazyAss

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on March 20, 2016, 08:56:41 PM
I didn't think the panhead ever had a slinger on the drive sprocket. Your tin primary probably won't work with one.

-craig
If that's the case, it's easy enough to remove.  :up:

HogMike

-craig

My 54 had the oil slinger on the drive sprocket, also had one on my '38 ULH. They may have stopped using them on the later pans. I don't remember what I had on the '56 with the smooth primary :nix:
Depending on the year pan, you may want to use the spring and bolt assembly when hooking up the oil tank tab with the chain guard and primary tins to keep from busting off the mounting tabs.
This was a common issue for those who just put a bolt and nut through the holes and snugged it tight.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

JamLazyAss

Quote from: HOGMIKE on March 21, 2016, 07:44:24 AM

-craig

My 54 had the oil slinger on the drive sprocket, also had one on my '38 ULH. They may have stopped using them on the later pans. I don't remember what I had on the '56 with the smooth primary :nix:
Depending on the year pan, you may want to use the spring and bolt assembly when hooking up the oil tank tab with the chain guard and primary tins to keep from busting off the mounting tabs.
This was a common issue for those who just put a bolt and nut through the holes and snugged it tight.

Mine is a 52, (bless her heart). My birth year bike.
I'm running a belt primary, so I don't really think the slinger is doing anything anyway.
Not to mention, it sure sounds like an easy solution to that problem.

Where can I find this spring and bolt your talking about?
I do know you're right about bolts breaking.

HogMike

bolt=3831 (1/4 20 x 1" with a hole for a cotter key)
spring=60640-29
1/4 20 nut
1/4 washer
If I remember, the hole in the oil tank tab is way larger than the 1/4 20 bolt, gives it room to move around.
If a belt drive and chain rear, I assume no front chain oiler, dry clutch, what are you using for rear chain oiler?
No inner chain guard drain pipe either?
I don't think I have a pic or drawing for the parts, but, it's not rocket science right?
Trick is to not put a bind in the inner chain housing.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Snuff™

Quote from: HOGMIKE on March 21, 2016, 12:39:19 PM
...No inner chain guard drain pipe either?...

How's the crankcase breather routed?
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

HogMike

Quote from: Snuff™ on March 21, 2016, 05:24:56 PM

Usually the little elbow from the crankcase poked into the inner chain case, but with a belt drive I would route it to the rear chain with a hose pointed at the chain. I used this method in the past and it seemed to work pretty well, always had a little drip from the chain depending how hard I ran the bike.
Remember, the factory expected these bikes to lose about a quart in 500-1000 miles.
JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

JamLazyAss

Quote from: Snuff™ on March 21, 2016, 05:24:56 PM

Just a small 90 degree elbow sticking out of the case.

JamLazyAss

Friday update:

I removed the slinger, and the inner primary now fits nice  :up:

My next question,
In the picture attached, you'll see a thrust washer. It was there when I took the slinger out.
I'm not sure now where exactly it goes, or if it's even needed.
I don't see it referenced in the manual. Maybe it's just for the belt set-up?

Does the hub ride up against the m/s nut face, or does it go on the m/s just so far and stop?

fourthgear

Maybe someone used it to align the Belt Drive  ( ? ), I have never seen a Washer there , that Washer looks familiar .
I move or adj. the Tranny for Belt alignment . Tapered Shafts on both Engine & Tranny can be a challenge with some Belt drive systems . Do you have an OEM type Tranny mounting Plate ?

rbabos

Quote from: fourthgear on March 26, 2016, 07:07:13 AM
  Maybe someone used it to align the Belt Drive  ( ? ), I have never seen a Washer there , that Washer looks familiar .
I move or adj. the Tranny for Belt alignment . Tapered Shafts on both Engine & Tranny can be a challenge with some Belt drive systems . Do you have an OEM type Tranny mounting Plate ?
That washer reminds me of the rod thrust washer that's on the crank. One on each side of the rod. :nix:
Ron

JamLazyAss

March 26, 2016, 09:15:04 AM #12 Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:01:00 AM by JamLazyAss
So if I just put the hub assembly back on, it will stop before touching that nut?
And alignment shouldn't be a issue?

Sat 1:00pm Update:

I just noticed that with the inner primary now installed, I can put the slinger back on the mainshaft.
Might just as well. Apparently it was only an issue when trying to install the primary. But now it isn't a problem.

So that leaves me back to that thrust washer looking thing.
I'm thinking at this point to just leave it off and continue.

Thoughts?

fourthgear

Well, it doesn't belong there , but why it was used is the question .

Let me try understand this , you couldn't install the Inner Primary because it was hitting the Oil Deflector , now with that spacer removed , you can ?

JamLazyAss

Quote from: fourthgear on March 27, 2016, 06:23:52 PM
  Well, it doesn't belong there , but why it was used is the question .

Let me try understand this , you couldn't install the Inner Primary because it was hitting the Oil Deflector , now with that spacer removed , you can ?
The primary was hitting the slinger, so I removed it.
But now that the primary is on, the slinger can go back on with no problem.

The washer is a mystery  :dgust:

HogMike

IIRC the inner primary MAY have had an elongated hole, or coulda been just round, I don't remember.
Remember, the trans was adjustable front to back a little.
The oil slinger was used from about '39-'54 and was just set on the sprocket with a lock tab and the nut.
Someone may have added a spacer to allow the slinger to clear the chain case??? :nix:
Not really sure, but, my slingers were flush up against the sprocket.
Wish I could find a nice picture of the assembly.  :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

I found a pic that may help to show how the slinger is positioned.
The "shim" may have been used to space it either to line up the chain, or keep from hitting the chain case or clutch assembly. :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

JamLazyAss

Quote from: rbabos on March 26, 2016, 07:37:08 AM
That washer reminds me of the rod thrust washer that's on the crank. One on each side of the rod. :nix:
Ron

You nailed it Ron.
I just came across it in the J&P book.
It's a flywheel thrust washer used 1929 thru 1954.
Must be someone decided to use it as a spacer in some previous life, or didn't even know it was in there?  :dgust:
Who knows. The joys of figuring out other peoples mess. lol

rbabos

Quote from: JamLazyAss on March 31, 2016, 11:23:10 AM
Quote from: rbabos on March 26, 2016, 07:37:08 AM
Ron

You nailed it Ron.
I just came across it in the J&P book.
It's a flywheel thrust washer used 1929 thru 1954.
Must be someone decided to use it as a spacer in some previous life, or didn't even know it was in there?  :dgust:
Who knows. The joys of figuring out other peoples mess. lol
I tend to agree it was used as a sprocket alignment spacer. You could check it but I think you will find alignment is close enough. Doesn't have to be like in the twin cam section where everyone is trying to get chain alignments within .001. Mind you the crank could have .008-.012 but that's ok. :hyst:
Me thinks if the slinger is used, it should go on after the primary. OD should be larger then the hole of the primary so it actually works. I think most toss it,  as it likely does very little in the big picture.
Ron

JamLazyAss