May 07, 2024, 08:51:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

curling saddlebag flap

Started by northbrun, April 09, 2009, 03:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northbrun

I have installed some baggshapers in my springer saddlebags. They work great to support the bag and keep it into shape. My only problem is, they do nothing to the cover flap. The flat looks as if the leather has shrunk, and the plastic reinforcement piece sewn on the back side of the flap is causing the flap to curl front to back. the bags have a great shape, but the flap looks like wings. any ideas on how to correct this? One thought I had was to soak the flap in warm water, then clamp it over a slight arch and let it dry for a while TIA
northbrun

L-

You are on the right track with getting them bent over.  I would use a good oil like Obenaufs and set them up.  I usually use a paint brush and plenty of this stuff on leather all the time.  As a rule when you see things like this it may just be too late.  Water is old wives tales on leather works.  Does it no good at all. It is real dry here in New Mexico and I use Obenaufs on saddles, belts, holsters, boots etc.  It doesn't stink and it doesn't stain.

L-

OFBagger

April 09, 2009, 03:46:26 PM #2 Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:48:32 PM by OFBagger
 One thought I had was to soak the flap in warm water, then clamp it over a slight arch and let it dry for a while TIA

:up:

The leather has shrunk, plastic same length so it curls.  After you get it straight oil it up good, maybe needsfoot oil.

OFB

The old wives tale has worked for me on many saddlebags in the past, maybe the water up north is funkey

moose

i personally would not use neatsfoot oil I have been told it will dry out and crack after using for a period of time
Moose aka Glenn-