Which cam for a SE 117,stock SE110 heads. What's the max lift for stock SE Heads

Started by GunShyKennedy, March 24, 2016, 02:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

04 SE Deuce

Ok ok so a little feeding and kissing and the race horses are cooperating,  ya gonna tell us what was really wrong?  -Rick

KE5RBD

Well hope GunShyKennedy didn't run over one of those Tasmanian Devils. I think the map is on the way to recovery, but I will let him explain.  One more change and test and maybe he will share. Oh and when the hooch wears off.
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

Don D

What is maximum safe lift for stock springs on stock untouched cvo heads?

Yellow09SERG

Injectors? You say 5.3's in the post but thsts not what the sheet list

GunShyKennedy

Quote from: HD Street Performance on March 26, 2016, 07:48:47 AM

Thanks so much for that, now I know what I could get away with, if I change cams from the 57H  :wink:
There's some serious latitude for lift from stock then.
I was led to believe, about 0.600 was the maximum, with stock or 10.5:1 pistons.
Or did I ask the question incorrectly?

Quote from: Yellow09SERG on March 26, 2016, 10:32:02 AM

Yers, the tuner set the injectors at 4.9.  5.3 injectors are fitted, tuner got it wrong....and he fitted them!
cheers,
richo

98fxstc

Quote from: KE5RBD on March 25, 2016, 11:42:40 PM
Well hope GunShyKennedy didn't run over one of those Tasmanian Devils. I think the map is on the way to recovery, but I will let him explain.  One more change and test and maybe he will share. Oh and when the hooch wears off.
:up:

98fxstc

but corrected geometry over .625" ?

Don D

Some will spring for corrected geometry, the same folks that will not be worried about trying to get the last dollar out of the stock springs.
I have not ever run stock springs there or even recommend it just saying they will go there without danger of coil bind

Don D

Quote from: GunShyKennedy on March 26, 2016, 03:59:28 PM

Thanks so much for that, now I know what I could get away with, if I change cams from the 57H  :wink:
There's some serious latitude for lift from stock then.
I was led to believe, about 0.600 was the maximum, with stock or 10.5:1 pistons.
Or did I ask the question incorrectly?

Quote from: Yellow09SERG on March 26, 2016, 10:32:02 AM

Yers, the tuner set the injectors at 4.9.  5.3 injectors are fitted, tuner got it wrong....and he fitted them!

Consider matching the cam to your compression ratio which will be 9.8 to 10.2 depending on the head gasket, chamber, and deck clearance. Also your tolerance for noise and smooth low speed manors and riding style.  Focus on the duration and event timing first, then lift. Works out to a cam in the high 230s or low 240s for duration, intake closing of ~38, and few of those are over .600 lift. You have a whole plethora of cams that will work well and a few that will work great off the shelf and all that I can think of are under .600 lift.
I no longer pick specific cams unless I am helping with head work and the rest of the build but this will get you started.

GunShyKennedy

Thanks for the further assistance.
I'm thinking the 57 will probably stay for the time being.
The help I've received in changing the map has improved the power and the rideability.
The bottom of my wallet is easily reached and the current performance should satisfy my itch until I work out which particular cam will work best.
cheers,
richo

Mirrmu

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on March 25, 2016, 08:01:47 PM
Ok ok so a little feeding and kissing and the race horses are cooperating,  ya gonna tell us what was really wrong?  -Rick

ok we know you in good hands with Mac, as O4 SE Deuce asked, what was wrong with the tune

as highlighted the HP was well down, VE, Timing,? didn't the tuner have a dyno?