May 02, 2024, 12:33:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Help, Dead ECM

Started by dwjohnson, March 28, 2016, 02:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

March 28, 2016, 02:12:24 PM Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:52:33 PM by Coyote
 Anyone know of a way, short of trucking down to the dealer, to recover the stock ecm once a program attempt is aborted?
While trying to program a SERT on a 2007 FLHT, something went wrong and now system says ecm is corrupt and must be recovered with Digitech by a dealer.
Mostly my fault. I could tell program was acting funny and running slow but I tried to press on. Thanks for any advice.
Sorry, forgot to mention I've already cycled the key several times and left battery disconnected for awhile

hdbikedoc

Try picking a tune for your bike under the cal list in tuning and flash that to your bike then flash the tune you were tring to install in to the ecm
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

rbabos

Quote from: hdbikedoc on March 28, 2016, 07:40:15 PM
Try picking a tune for your bike under the cal list in tuning and flash that to your bike then flash the tune you were tring to install in to the ecm
How is he going to flash any tune?
Ron

hdbikedoc

have had it happen a few time trying to install tunes usually battery related anyway just try and reflash a tune to it its worked for me before
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

Just Nick

Quote from: hdbikedoc on March 30, 2016, 07:59:31 PM
have had it happen a few time trying to install tunes usually battery related anyway just try and reflash a tune to it its worked for me before

Me too and also unplug the ecm connector for a minute or so then try again
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

dwjohnson

This seems to be a little more involved than what you guys have had happen. I did make it down to the dealer Saturday but they didn't have any luck either. Their Digital Tech computer won't connect or recognize the bike or ECM at this point. He even tried a new ECM off the shelf with no luck. Now he feels there must be something else wrong. Problem with that is bike ran great before my interruption during the download so I really feel it's related to the interruption. He going to try factory support Tuesday. Any more ideas out there? No noise,fuel pump operation or ECM activity but bike does turn over and all gauges are working although the check engine light has a steady fast flash.

Propflux01

If he plugged in another ECM and it still would not take, I cannpt help but wonder if it is something simple as a fuse or relay.  A new (or swapped) ECM Should have done Something...
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

pauly

April 04, 2016, 03:19:49 AM #7 Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:25:34 PM by pauly
Gday,
Any chance the lead that you plug the Sert into ( the one under the seat) is faulty or has a connector problem? Either that, or the ecm connector is not delivering power. Seems to me that if a new ecm was plugged into the large multi pin, and the dt was connected via the serial connection, that this cable/connector is suspect or 12v to the Ecm.

I just looked at the diagram... Check the following for continuity:
* ECM pin 5 to data-link connector (under the seat) - should have a light green stripe I think
* ECM pin 28 to ground (-12V)
* ECM pin 31 to +12v
* Data-Link connector (under seat) black wire to ground
* The Data Link connector grey wire goes off to the kill switch though I don't know why... The kill switch hasnt got anything to do with this has it?

It would make sense that when you were doing the programming, plugging the Sert connector into the bikes data-link connector may have pushed one of the pins from the (female) plug - invisible to the eye, but creating a dodgy connection...then the dealer plugs in with a new ECM, and gets the same result -ie nothing.
If they have no problems....well I'm stumped!

Hope it helps
Pauly

dwjohnson

Got bike back today. My interruption caused ECM to lose all internals. The new ECM we tried was a blank, which would need to be flashed with a bikes original cal., which would have been saved from the bikes old ecm, by the Digital Tech. before removing.
My problem had to be corrected by taking a working ecm from a running bike, saving it's cal., flashing that cal. to my ecm to get my ecm back online,then flashing a base stock map into mine, and then reflashing the other ecm back to it's original cal., all using the Digital Tech. 2.5 hrs and a big charge.
Again, all my fault though because I noticed my laptop running slow and acting funny but impatiently pressed on. I had the SERT program up and running about 3 days while fine tuning and downloading 11 different times. Problem with that was all that time. my laptop was clogging up and losing memory,so it had a right to run slow. All I had to do was close SERT program and shut down PC for a minute and all would have been fine. I have made 2 changes today with perfect fast downloads.
Thanks for every ones replies and help.   Sorry for being long winded but hopefully this may help some other home tuners

HV

If it was a OEM Cal....the DT has them all stored in it...no need to remove it from an other ECM.....the DT can not save a stock cal any way ...just flash ones it contains ...all new ECMs have a Blank Cal from the Factory .....
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

pauly

Good on you DW,

It must be a relief to be riding again :-)

Pauly

dwjohnson

Wow HV, I should have just let you fix it huh? Don't remember you chiming in before, offering any advice when I could have put it to use.
I'm just telling folks what the dealership told me they had to do, to get it back going for me. They couldn't solve it themselves and had to rely on factory tech support for the answer. I was there with the tech on Sat. when he tried to connect the Digital Tech with no luck and I helped him swap out the new blank ecm which didn't help either. Now maybe there was more that he could have tried but I posted what the Service Manager told me they had to do per Tech Support and what he charged me to do. Surely between the tech, the service manager and getting the factory involved, they didn't overlook a solution or maybe they all got together to pull a fast one on me. I do feel that way with how much they charged me but at that point I was at their mercy.
Again thanks to all who tried to help and yes Pauly it is good to have it back and a lesson well learned.

rigidthumper

Glad your back up. I'd bet there was no great conspiracy to fleece you, but HV is right.  I just had this same issue yesterday, and the simple fix is use DT to flash the stock download into the ECM, then use the tuner to reflash the map back into the ECM. This only works if the damage is software, not physical.  I guess we assume that every dealer is as smart as the rest, and that most of this stuff is common knowledge. Maybe not safe to assume...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Coyote

These ECMs have a boot loader section that is protected in events like yours. It allows them to be flashed even if the main program is corrupted.  I can't see why another ECM would need to be involved at all in your recovery.

HV

I Heard you were taking it to a Dealer and as others assumed they would be able to re flash it.....we do them all the time...for them to get in touch with tech support indicates some issue Ive never seen before...I didn't know the DT could even pull a Cal from an ECM ...to save and re flash...but I'm not a Engineer at the MOCO so there may be a way....cant say they didn't do it correctly...just saying Ive never heard of it before ..Bottom line is your back on the road...that's all that matters  :up:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT