May 07, 2024, 02:51:30 PM

News:

ATF In The Primary - Different Results

Started by f-x-d-w-g, April 10, 2009, 06:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f-x-d-w-g

Been running ATF in the primary of my 04 Dyna for a couple of years and it's worked great.

A couple of days ago I swapped out the primary oil in my 81 Wide Glide (Shovel) with ATF.  It always just slipped into first gear without a sound or lurch and now, with ATF, it grinds, bangs, and lurches when I put it into first gear.  It's even hard to find 1st when the bike is rolling to a stop.

Are the clutch frictions that different on the Shovel than the Twincam?  I may have to switch back to plain oil in the primary on the old girl.

Gonna post this on the Shovel board, too, but wanted to get the most opinions.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

L-

Franky, I don't know about the clutch plates.  But what brand of fluid did you use?  I have been using and recommending B&M Trickshift NON-synthetic. Works great.

PC_Hater

I would expect ATF to work the same in both bikes. It works great in most daft old British bikes too.
So, what's different?
The shovel isn't going to be on the original friction plates, and they probably aren't HD clutch plates anyway.
Some clutch manufacturers advise to use ATF and others say not to use it with their clutch plates.
That's my best guess.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Princess Butt

Does you WG use a diaphram clutch or a coil spring type clutch?

I think that makes a HUGE difference.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

f-x-d-w-g

Dan
Tijeras, NM

f-x-d-w-g

I think my Buds over on the Shovel board hit it - TOO MUCH OIL.  I filled it through the derby cover until the oil started to overflow.  I'm gonna drain some of it out.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

PC_Hater

Why would the clutch plates care what type of spring is squeezing them together?
My FL with diaphragm clutch likes ATF, my 1992 made in India Enfield 500 with coil spring clutch liked ATF. My sportster can't have ATF...

(and a reply while I was posting)

It was bound to be something simple!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Dennis The Menace

Dan, while I only have a TC, I have experienced different results based on fluid level too.  So, maybe that is the answer for you.

menace

HarleyCharley

You need between 6 and 8 ounces of ATF or any other oil that you use in a sealed shovelhead primary. I've been using ATF for many years in my '81 FXS.

You may need to pull the clutch basket and clean the plates now.

charley

76shuvlinoff

yep  6 to 8 oz in shovel seal primary.

I tried ATF for a while in my shovel's primary and I noticed the same effects in the OP's post. I was very careful not to overfill it but things just seemed a bit more "harsh" with ATF.   Maybe it was the ATF plus the kevlar disc combo plus other residual oil at the time, who knows. Non issue right now, running a Rivera with Harley Primary oil or 50wt, or pretty much whatever, it doesn't seem to care.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway