May 07, 2024, 12:25:35 AM

News:

Iron 883 or Nightster

Started by BONES, April 10, 2009, 06:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BONES

Currently have an 08 Ultra - Looking for a small nimble around town bike, once I convince the wife :) Really love the looks of the 883 iron blacked out is all me in denim black, price is just right too.  Just concerned with it being an 883 compared to the nightster 1200.  I am about 205 lbs 5' 11".  I have not test rode one yet only because I am not totally ready to buy but I think over the weekend I may check one out.  So is getting the 883 over a 1200 something I should be concerned with at my size?  I think I would be much happier with the Iron in the looks department and thinking I could probably alway upgrade it to 1200, not sure of the cost to do that yet.  Just looking to get some feedback from some with experience with a sporty.

Thanks,
Bones
--BONES

PC_Hater

My girlfriend (38F lovely big girl) has a 1200 Nightster. It is an absolute delight to ride. Now, UK bike laws being what they are it is limited to only 33HP at the rear wheel. Don't ask, it was her own fault and she is stuck with 33HP for 2 years, 8 months to go!
When I ride it I use a lot of throttle, occasionally full throttle but it stays with traffic I've had it up to 90mph and I'm looking forward to riding it again when it is full power.

The Iron 883 will have more than 33HP at the rear wheel and for general riding about I don't see why anyone would need more than a nicely setup 883 can give. I was going to get an old 883 for commuting but then I saw this very pretty 1200S on eBay and couldn't resist it...
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

texaskatfish

Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Princess Butt

I'm 6 foot 4 inches, 250+ pounds. A friend had his stock 883 over for me to straighten out a few things.

When I cracked that throttle, it pulled hard.

My 2006 Ultra is 95" + SE204 cams, and it does okay, but that 883 is a blast.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

V24me

I'm about your size, and rode a friends 883, I was surprised how quick it pulled away.  It did get flat in the higher RPM's but if you wanted to do a little motor work down the line, you can sure punch it up a bit.  Off the line it was fun!  If you like the 883 better, it's easier to get more out of the motor, than change the whole look of the bike, and more fun!!
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!