May 08, 2024, 06:20:57 AM

News:

Sporster primary fluid

Started by speed limit, April 07, 2016, 12:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speed limit

I put red line mtl in the primary of my wife`s sportster like I use in my big twins now it sounds like a Ducati should I not use this, is this why harley has different primary oil for sportsters and big twins ?
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Pete_Vit

Sporty's primary and trans share same fluids, not like Big twins.
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

speed limit

Quote from: Pete_Vit on April 07, 2016, 01:05:48 PM
Sporty's primary and trans share same fluids, not like Big twins.
Engine and trans share primary is separate

Wicked

Quote from: speed limit on April 07, 2016, 07:23:39 PM
Engine and trans share primary is separate
Someone led you astray....    Sportys, from the first to the current, have pri and trans sharing lube. The motor oil is separate.

Panzer

I was going to use Red Line in mine because of all the hype.
Went online with Red Line and they recommend that it not be used in a sporty........according to their site that is.
Just saying.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

rbabos

Quote from: speed limit on April 07, 2016, 12:04:08 PM
I put red line mtl in the primary of my wife`s sportster like I use in my big twins now it sounds like a Ducati should I not use this, is this why harley has different primary oil for sportsters and big twins ?
Well, shared trans and primary and using MTL will explain the noise. Oil choice should be chosen based on the gear box instead.
Ron

speed limit

Guys I`m new to sportsters but this much I know the engine and trans share the same fluid
and the primary has separate

Wicked

Quote from: speed limit on April 09, 2016, 12:38:20 PM
Guys I`m new to sportsters but this much I know the engine and trans share the same fluid
Wish I was closer to ya for a little wager....  :bike: !
Please accept what you've been told here....your bike will like you more for it...  :wink:

Slammers

Not sure which year your's is but according to the 2010 XL Service Manual the primary and transmission oil are common.

Slam '04 FXDL

Hal64hd

They ONLY Model Harley where the Engine and Transmission oil is shared, is the V-Rod, Period.

FSG

I'd take that bet too   :wink:   a capture from

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,66184.msg709398.html#msg709398

While there are only two oil holes, you SAS cant put MTL in the Trannie.

[attach=0]

Tynker

:hyst: :pop: :rtfb: :gob:
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Panzer

Quote from: Hal64hd on April 09, 2016, 03:29:09 PM
They ONLY Model Harley where the Engine and Transmission oil is shared, is the V-Rod, Period.

You can take that statement to the bank.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

speed limit

Ok I stand corrected thanks guys I`ll replace the mtl with formula 1 just don`t tell my wife

Hossamania

We promise not to say a word. Even though none of us have ever made a mistake......     :embarrassed:
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pete_Vit

I guess I've got on off those one off , one of a kind Sporties,  :baby:
:hyst:

speed limit

Ive been riding Harley's since 72 with 0 XL time must of got some bad info years ago and always believed it so, replaced the mtl with formula 1 even though the parts person at the dealership suggested the green redline for sportsters and its quiet again and the wife is too :up:

Pete_Vit

April 12, 2016, 08:04:03 AM #17 Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:29:43 AM by Pete_Vit
Quote from: speed limit on April 12, 2016, 07:36:52 AM
Ive been riding Harley's since 72 with 0 XL time must of got some bad info years ago and always believed it so, replaced the mtl with formula 1 even though the parts person at the dealership suggested the green redline for sportsters and its quiet again and the wife is too :up:
have to say I never knew this, the Sporty was my first Harley, when my Stator (rotor) magnets came loose coming home from Rolling Thunder the Indy I took it to told me he had to clean, purge the entire primary / tranny, magnets went everywhere, that's when I found out they shared a common fluid 

FSG

Quoteeven though the parts person at the dealership suggested the green redline for sportsters

that's interesting

Panzer

Quote from: FSG on April 12, 2016, 11:43:08 AM
Quoteeven though the parts person at the dealership suggested the green redline for sportsters

that's interesting

Hmmmmm, very!  :scratch:

FSG

it's good stuff, I use it in the fattys trannie

[attach=0]

speed limit

update: noise returned pulled the primary cover and tightened front sprocket problem solved

Pete_Vit

76shuvlinoff

Old Thread but .....

Tinkering with an 04 Sportie for a friend with no manual. First Sportster I ever put a wrench to and I was about to put MTL in primary like I have run in all my BTs but came here first.

As far as the "Shared" Engine and Transmission oil statement above goes, in my adventure I found a guy on YouTube saying the same thing.  I also saw one where the "wrench" said to tighten the Derby cover bolts  at 90 to 120 FT LBS

Be careful out there.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

hdbikedoc

I like 60 weight amsoil in sporty pri/trany  no clutch slip and a tad quitter than formula
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked